Valvoline Technical - High Mileage Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commone questions answered in the article:

Z. George Zhang, Ph.D. and director of Valvoline Technical International thinks so. He said there are "distinct differences" compared to regular oils.

"Most of the high mileage oil will have a seal conditioner," he said. "Normally they will have more seal conditioners in the formula." But that's not the only difference between them and conventional lubricants.

With elastomers, a fancy name for the rubber materials seals are made from, Zhang said over time certain chemical components can leach out of them. Special conditioning compounds "tend to react with elastomers," replacing what's been lost over time and increasing their sealing abilities. Think of these chemicals as a salve. If your hands are dried out and the skin is cracked you can rejuvenate it with lotion, which restores its flexibility.

"We researched a lot of these chemical compounds that can be used to rejuvenate seals" Zhang said. He also mentioned that seal conditioners help make seals more flexible and can cause them to expand slightly, another thing that helps stop leaks.

When is the time right to start running a high-mileage oil? The folks at Valvoline recommend you make the switch at 75,000 miles. Zhang said "we use 75,000 as a typical reminder," though you can certainly run MaxLife or a similar product beyond that, or even before.

Zhang said "it's really good for high-mileage engines… for when vehicle performance is deteriorating," but it can be used in brand-new cars as well. Added anti-wear and detergent compounds are just as helpful in a factory-fresh vehicle as they are in one that's got 75,000 miles on the clock.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/use-high-mileage-oil-car.html

Awesome article. Ive known some people to say that the high mileage variants were pointless, that you didnt need them and were just throwing money away. However, the more I read up on them, the more it is confirmed in my mind that is not the case. Im going to be running a HM variant of some sort from now on in my van. My next change will likely be Valvoline Max Life HMFS.

Thanks buster. Nice read. Valvoline has been behind the whole, "HM for newer cars is fine", for years now.

Good article. I've switched to their D1G2 high mileage 5W-30 synthetic in my wife's 2005 Mercury Mariner (Ford Escape) V6. Engine specs 5W-20, but it's got 184K on the odometer so I went up a grade during warm weather a few years ago...ticking #6 cylinder hydraulic valve lash adjuster at hot idle which the thicker oil eliminated.

It's been running Pennzoil Plat High Mile 5W-20 in Fall-Spring, 5W-30 Spring-Fall. No complaints regarding PP, just a good deal on Valvoline at Advance Auto including a Purolator Boss oil filter @ $25.

The engine had an injector fail at some point this past Spring, and was dribbling gas into cylinder #5. Also leaking oil at the crank seal, which it hadn't done previously. Long cranking time at startup, and oil smelled like gasoline. After swapping all 6 injectors, spark plugs, and coil boots I ran a rinse with regular Pennzoil 5w-30 on short OCI and then loaded the Valvoline synth high-mile D1G2. I'm hoping this will minimize the crank seal leakage a bit...it's got approximately 1200 miles on this fill and the dipstick level is still where I put it (halfway between ADD and FULL marks).

I fully believe Dr. Zhang, Ph.D., but to me "high mileage" starts around 200K. Thats just because I usually drive my rides until the wheels fall off. 200K is more like "middle aged" to me, LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Thanks buster. Nice read. Valvoline has been behind the whole, "HM for newer cars is fine", for years now.

From my very recent conversation with ExxonMobil's Technical Hotline, the representative was very directive in saying that their High Mileage Oils are best suited for applications with a treatable symptom (i.e. oil consumption, leakage, excessive deposits). I provided some hypothetical scenarios involving functional high-mileage engines, and the representative encouraged me to stay with a non high-mileage product.

I've used Maxlife in a non-high mileage engine, didn't hurt it a bit-and I use regular non-HM synthetic (M1 EP) in the xB every day, it's over 75K, didn't hurt it either. In the right situation, with oil leaks & consumption that are difficult to repair (or would cost more to fix than the vehicle is worth), Maxlife can be the way to go. I'm looking forward to using the new M1 EP HM in the xB someday-if it ever needs it before the body rusts off!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I fully believe Dr. Zhang, Ph.D., but to me "high mileage" starts around 200K. Thats just because I usually drive my rides until the wheels fall off. 200K is more like "middle aged" to me, LOL

^^^^^^^^^

Kinda funny
lol.gif

But I have to say I agree a good bit too. My car has 242k miles on her. It has developed a very minor seep on the valve cover from the back 3 cylinders. Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic did stop that very well. That seep happened at around 210 thousand miles.

I do think for cars driven a lot of highway miles 200k miles is the high mileage starting point. For cars that see a whole lot of inner city stop and go... 100k miles could be that starting point for them. Of note though... The motor and how it is set up to run factors in the equation has well.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by gfh77665

^^^^^^^^^

Kinda funny
lol.gif

But I have to say I agree a good bit too. My car has 242k miles on her. It has developed a very minor seep on the valve cover from the back 3 cylinders. Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic did stop that very well. That seep happened at around 210 thousand miles.

I do think for cars driven a lot of highway miles 200k miles is the high mileage starting point. For cars that see a whole lot of inner city stop and go... 100k miles could be that starting point for them. Of note though... The motor and how it is set up to run factors in the equation has well.

Good points.

Originally Posted by Onetor
The author's first name is Zhe. Very unique. Looks like a distinguished scholar.

Not sure what to think here.

Holy cow... I honestly just about forgot about that
lol.gif

Seriously
smile.gif

Thank you my friend. I always am glad to see ya on here.

I remember a space in the old format that would show birthdays but I don't see that anymore on the mobile format. Thanks to Garak for mentioning it.

Have a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back