Valvoline SynPower

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Valvoline SynPower website under the FAQ's they state that SynPower is a 100% synthetic oil.They don't tell you wheather it is a PAO or ester based oil.They state that they use various synthetic types base oils to get the desired results.Until I know for sure I'll stick with Mobil-1.Joe
confused.gif

Syn power is Valvolines best oil and is very good in compairison to other similar brands,specs are there,,,,hmm not bad...BL

It all depends on your driving habits, engine cleanliness & how long you plan to keep it in the engine.

So far, we know nothing about you/your vehicle Joe. Also.... Mobil-1 is not the same Mobil-1 before Katrina hit. I won't buy M-1 again until they return to the pre-Katrina formulas.

quote:

I won't buy M-1 again until they return to the pre-Katrina formulas.

Lol,what else can you tell except sticker on the bottle.., do you have your own oil analyze lab to tell if there significant difference? How’re you going to figure out when they returned to pre-Katrina formula?

Well, the problem for us, as consumers, is that some corporations consider Grp III to be a synthetic.

Petro Canada Group III Synthetic Base Oils

Chevron Base Oils FAQ - Are UCBO's Synthetic?

The most recent Valvoline Synpower MSDS is dated 2002 and indicates Grp III base oils.

Synpower may have some PAO blended into the formulation and it may contain synthetics such as esters at the additive levels.

But we have seen nothing here that indicates it is a 100% Grp IV PAO or Grp V Ester, Alky Napth, etc. formulation.
smile.gif

What does it matter id it's group3 or pao? I've learned here that if taht all the synthetics are very close to eachother in performance group3 or otherwise. If it works in your car then use it.

I use Valvoline SynPower on my Sienna (yeah it was on sale)and Mobil 1 on on my Matrix. As stated by Speedtc, if a certain oil does well with regards to the usual tests (visc,pour,flash), what else is there to worry about.

By the way, on the Mobil 1 web site, it does not state that it's comprised of say mostly PAO with some additives. Instead, it states "Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives".

Hence Mobil 1 maybe more like group 3, then PAO.

this is the answer I receive from Valvoline about SynPower

Question :

Hi!

I read FAQ about SynPower oil, to find what base Valvoline use. I find
this
answer :

Is SynPower a full synthetic? Is SynPower motor oil PAO or ester based?
Does it require a special filter?

Yes, SynPower is 100% synthetic. Synpower uses a proprietary
combination of
various types of synthetic base oils to obtain optimum performance.

But you don't answer to the question! This is a PAO (Group IV) or a
Esther
(Group V) based oil??? Or maybe a Base III oil (hydrocracking oil)

Thanks

Answer :

You answered your own question, It is proprietary information. Synpower
is
100% synthetic in the eyes of the American Petroleum Institute.

If they used PAO and sophisticated esters, they would have told you. Why wouldn't they? These are highest quality components. If they used them, they would tout it. It's in their marketing interests to do so.

The only reason they wouldn't give you a straight answer is that they don't use them.

"100% synthetic in the eyes of the American Petroleum Institute"

LOL, nice way of saying it is group III.

quote:

If they used PAO and sophisticated esters, they would have told you. Why wouldn't they? These are highest quality components. If they used them, they would tout it. It's in their marketing interests to do so.

The only reason they wouldn't give you a straight answer is that they don't use them.

Not necessarily. They have no idea who is on the other end of the line and how knowledgeable they may be. It could be someone from Mobil sitting in an office with a VOA and a copy of the MSDS trying to get more info on the competition as far as they know
dunno.gif

With that said, personally I'm looking at switching to it for my next series of oil changes.

Yet the PAO CAS# is listed in the Maxlife MSDS for 12-22% content. Now why didn't they hide that?

And the interesting thing is the Group III CAS# is listed for Synpower, all except 20w50 Synpower which lists the PAO CAS#. Old MSDS sheets but that is what they give you as current on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back