Valvoline Synpower vs PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly, at some point Pennzoil tested PP against Synpower and other synthetic oils, and in their testing, the PP was able to keep ring ares of pistons some small % cleaner than other oils tested. Not sure if that was just advertising hype or if the difference was significant. For longer oil changes I def like the PP better or it's big brother, PU.

Either of those is not a bad price, really.

I have found that PP has better TBN retention in the UOAs I've had done.
Synpower provides wear metal numbers as low as any oil, but PP is also very good.
How long do you want to run the oil?
If you really want to exploit the longer drain capabilities of a synthetic oil, use PP.
As someone noted above, QSUD is a good lower cost alternative to either PP or Synpower.

FDCG is right, QSUD is lil cheaper than pp, but I dont think ya can do wrong with PP and that cleaning package in it. Choose what you feel is right.

OCI is 6K - Nissan recommended. I'm running QS Synthetic right now but I normally run PP. My main reason for using a synthetic is for the turbo so I guess I want whatever is most 'turbo friendly'.

Thanks

Any oil designed to meet Acura/Honda HT-06 spec should be an excellent option in your situation. In your situation, the lower NOACK scores of Synpower might be more beneficial vs longer TBN retention of PP/QSUD.

First I like to say I agree with bourne on his comments.

I have heard more time than not that Valvoline isn't a long drain oil, yet everyone is willing to dump it when TBN is 2 or more, just because they read on here it's not extended drain oil and the add pack doesn't seem as robust as other oils, yet it has shown to have some of the lowest wear numbers and viscosity retention. As we know Tbn retention is not linear. I have run Napa Synthetic(more or less valvoline synpower) for 6,000 miles with a TBN of 2.9 with very little makeup oil. My car no matter what oil I use, burns 3/4qt at 6,000 miles. I would push it more , but i'm under warranty, I say Valvoline Synpower or Pennzoil Platinum is more than enough for 6,000 miles. Like DNEWTON would say, " Any named brand Dino could do that."

Last edited:
I agree with bourne above. Choose the product which meets Honda's HTO-06 standard for turbocharged engines. That would be the Pennzoil in this situation.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
That would be the Pennzoil in this situation.

You know, I was going to argue that statement, till I checked and the Synpower pdf does NOT show HT0-06 Approval/meets/exceeds standards. SOPUS DOES mention that spec in PP's pdf sheet.

Here is an old thread with some info about this spec
HTO-06 Bitog Thread

Last edited:
If you are only going 6k on the oil, I would go with the cheaper no doubt. Both oils are overkill for only 6k IMO.

I would say PP simply because I never got good performance from Valvoline products. I haven't bought any Valvoline oil since the 80's.

I got really turned off from PP when I`d bought two cases from Napa and it had a thick,cracked layer of sludge on the bottom of every bottle. I emailed Sopus and they gave me a refund for the case I`d opened. I returned the other to Napa.

Last edited:
please note that the oils that are "on special" at WM Canada do not necessarily have the same specs. as those on regular price. (yes. i always think that it is financially unfeasible to run two production lines but i was wrong) i never noticed that until i checked the oil section recently. one example is that the 5w30 "regular 5 liters" QSUD at WM Can. is HTO-06 approved but the same 5w30 4.73 liters that "on special" is not HTO-06 approved. the specs. on VSP 5 liters and the 4.73 liters are slightly different too. never mind Castrol Edge, not HTO-06 approved at any price level. the local WM does not have PP on special so i can't confirm yet. the TLE person at WM was surprised when i showed the different to him too. yes, check it for yourself. however, i don't think the specs really matter that much, cause back then i did not read any specs but i was still able to get my car to nearly 300k. the only word i read back then was Tri-synthetic and that was good enough for me to buy.

long time ago even before the introduction of Nextgen, i heard somebody said that used oil is shipped up north to Canada so that it can recycled and then sold to the Canadian market. i did not pay attention much and i thought it was a waste of time for oil companies to run two production lines. so if you really care about specs. and want to buy from WM when it is on special, then you should read the specs. otherwise i think that PP is a great oil no less than M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back