Valvoline Synpower vs Durablend

Messages
51
Location
Midwest
I checked out the MSDS pages of Valvoline trying to compare Synpower and Durablend. Here is what I found: Ingredient(s), CAS Number, % (by weight)
  • DURABLEND 5W-30 Solvent-dewaxed heavy parafinic distillate, 64742-65-0, 10.0- 20.0 Hydrotreated heavy parafinic distillate, 64742-54-7, 54.0- 64.0
  • SYNPOWER 10W-30 Hydrotreated heavy parafinic distillate, 64742-54-7, > 80.0
I am confused: if the Synpower is full synthetic and Durablend is just a blend, why are the proportions of hydrotreated heavy parafinic distillate so close to each other in the two oils? Could it be that, in spite of the common name and CAS number, the two base oils are in fact different?
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by Marius: I checked out the MSDS pages of Valvoline trying to compare Synpower and Durablend. Here is what I found: Ingredient(s), CAS Number, % (by weight)
  • DURABLEND 5W-30 Solvent-dewaxed heavy parafinic distillate, 64742-65-0, 10.0- 20.0 Hydrotreated heavy parafinic distillate, 64742-54-7, 54.0- 64.0
  • SYNPOWER 10W-30 Hydrotreated heavy parafinic distillate, 64742-54-7, > 80.0
I am confused: if the Synpower is full synthetic and Durablend is just a blend, why are the proportions of hydrotreated heavy parafinic distillate so close to each other in the two oils? Could it be that, in spite of the common name and CAS number, the two base oils are in fact different?

Don't be confused. What the MSDS is telling you is that the Durablend is a blend of Group I and Group III, and the Synpower is all Group III, with 20% additives.
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by csandste: Is the last number percentage? If so, is Durablend mostly group III?
Yes to both your questions—if the MSDS is accurate.
 
Messages
4,798
Location
Lakeville, MN
If you are correct about the 64742-65-0 CAS number in the MSDS, then All Climate (the regular dino Valvoline) would also be all Group I, which I doubt. I've tried to figure out what is a Group I, II, II+, and III off the MSDS sheets, and the answers are all over the map.
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by MNgopher: If you are correct about the 64742-65-0 CAS number in the MSDS, then All Climate (the regular dino Valvoline) would also be all Group I, which I doubt. I've tried to figure out what is a Group I, II, II+, and III off the MSDS sheets, and the answers are all over the map.
The CAS # for any hydrocracked and hydrofinished base oil is 64742-54-7, be it Group II, II+, or III. The CAS # for Group IIIs that are wax isomerates is 92062-09-4. The CAS # for solvent dewaxed (Group I) is 64742-65-0.
 
Messages
4,798
Location
Lakeville, MN
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man II:
quote:
Originally posted by MNgopher: If you are correct about the 64742-65-0 CAS number in the MSDS, then All Climate (the regular dino Valvoline) would also be all Group I, which I doubt. I've tried to figure out what is a Group I, II, II+, and III off the MSDS sheets, and the answers are all over the map.
The CAS # for any hydrocracked and hydrofinished base oil is 64742-54-7, be it Group II, II+, or III. The CAS # for Group IIIs that are wax isomerates is 92062-09-4. The CAS # for solvent dewaxed (Group I) is 64742-65-0.

Based on that, here is the data from the MSDS for Valvoline All Climate 5w30: 2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by weight) -------------------------------------------- ------------- ------------- ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES 64742-65-0 75.0- 85.0 DETERGENT/DISPERSANT ENGINE OIL PACKAGE ZINC COMPOUNDS Therefore, if both your statement and the MSDS are correct, then we have proven that a Group I can meet the SL requirements for motor oil, which has generally been questioned on this board. Thoughts?
 
Top