Valvoline SynPower SAE 75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil - VS- Maxima Racing Oils "PRO GEAR - 75W-140"

DR1

Which one of these will provide the best overall quality and protection in my 2008 Nissan Titan Rear differential?

Attachments

• valvoline front.jpeg
    valvoline front.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 23
  • M198648580.jpg
    M198648580.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 23
Either will be fine, so get the one that's a better price :)

Maxima shares a name with a Nissan car, so there's that :D

Valvoline is good stuff too and claims to be the #1 selling gear oil.

Even Walmart brand ST will be fine too. Any synthetic 75w140 will work for your Nissan with no problems. Changing it at all is already more than most people will do, and most of them will go to the junkyard on the factory fill

i use Redline in my fronty but would "guess" Maxima has more real synthetic in it + prolly better. using Redline in all drivetrain parts netted me about 3 mpg's + i used 75-90 in the rear where as nissan uses a semi-syn 75-140. dana says synthetic 75-90, + theres 75-110 also

i use Redline in my fronty but would "guess" Maxima has more real synthetic in it + prolly better. using Redline in all drivetrain parts netted me about 3 mpg's + i used 75-90 in the rear where as nissan uses a semi-syn 75-140. dana says synthetic 75-90, + theres 75-110 also

You sure about Dana? Everything I've seen from them says 75w140, but that's on the Dana 44 in Jeeps (Jeep says 75w90). Maybe different on the model in the Titan? I think the Titan runs a Dana 44, as well.

For everyday-ness, any proper gear oil for your differential will be suitable. You don't necessarily need a gear oil designed for abuse. But also, buy by price.

Is there a difference between full synthetic, ester based gear oil -AND- Fully-synthetic formulas created from polyol ester base stocks?

Also 1 more question. According to the nissan oem website it shows that 75w140 is the gear oil that comes up when I put in my vin#.

I just rear online that 75w140 is denser and is used for heavy towing and continuous use. 75w90 is used for occasional towing and normal use.

I don't do any towing and my truck is a normal daily driver. Now I am confused with what nissan oem reccomends.

Last edited:
What does your owner's manual call for?
If it says to only use 75W140, then use that.
If you're not towing and for normal everyday driving, use 75W90 unless your owner's manual prohibits it.
DO You know if your rear diff is a limited slip differential (LSD)?
You can use the gear oil with LS additive if you want to even if you don't have LSD. I use Mobil 1 75W90 w/LS additive and I don't have an LSD in the Firebird in my sig. And I use the same in my wife's(previous) AWD Lexus that also did not have a LSD.
You may want to split the difference and use a 75W110??? But, IDK, I don't thing it matters much unless your actually towing a heavy load.
I even use conventional gear oil in 80W90 also with LS additive. Just makes things easier to think about.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between full synthetic, ester based gear oil -AND- Fully-synthetic formulas created from polyol ester base stocks?

Also 1 more question. According to the nissan oem website it shows that 75w140 is the gear oil that comes up when I put in my vin#.

I just rear online that 75w140 is denser and is used for heavy towing and continuous use. 75w90 is used for occasional towing and normal use.

I don't do any towing and my truck is a normal daily driver. Now I am confused with what nissan oem reccomends.

Reading the owners manual can clear up confusion.
titangearoilOM.JPG

80w90 or 75w90 in the front, 75w140 in the rear.

The question about gear oils, one may have ester additives and not basestock.. but you could read up on the manufacturers website.. its usually somewhat informative.

Anything will work fine even supertech at walmart so how much do you want to spend?
You have a 13-14 year old truck changing it with the proper viscosity gear oil is great.

I prefer redline for ester based, and motul gear 300 in general.. but I would just find a sale and not worry about it in that truck.

Last edited:
What does your owner's manual call for?
If it says to only use 75W140, then use that.
If you're not towing and for normal everyday driving, use 75W90 unless your owner's manual prohibits it.
DO You know if your rear diff is a limited slip differential (LSD)?
You can use the gear oil with LS additive if you want to even if you don't have LSD. I use Mobil 1 75W90 w/LS additive and I don't have an LSD in the Firebird in my sig. And I use the same in my wife's(previous) AWD Lexus that also did not have a LSD.
You may want to split the difference and use a 75W110??? But, IDK, I don't thing it matters much unless your actually towing a heavy load.
I even use conventional gear oil in 80W90 also with LS additive. Just makes things easier to think about.
It doesn't say anything in my owners manual about the recommended rear diff. oil. My truck does have a limited slip trans.

Reading the owners manual can clear up confusion.
View attachment 83061

80w90 or 75w90 in the front, 75w140 in the rear.

The question about gear oils, one may have ester additives and not basestock.. but you could read up on the manufacturers website.. its usually somewhat informative.

Anything will work fine even supertech at walmart so how much do you want to spend?
You have a 13-14 year old truck changing it with the proper viscosity gear oil is great.

I prefer redline for ester based, and motul gear 300 in general.. but I would just find a sale and not worry about it in that truck.
I just got off the phone with nissan and yes they tell me to use 75w140 because that is what nissan indicates to use. There ya go! LOL

Back