Valvoline Synpower opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking around, it seems opinions are generally favorable. Is that still the case? Wal-Mart had 5 quart jugs which came to just over $23 with tax. I noticed it's probably one of the lightest colored oils I've ever used, I really had to get the light just right to see the level on the dipstick
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Looking around, it seems opinions are generally favorable. Is that still the case? Wal-Mart had 5 quart jugs which came to just over $23 with tax.

Considering that Pennzoil Platinum is about $5 for a 5qt jug (after $15 MIR), I'd probably choose it over Synpower right now, if I had to pick between the two. But pricing/promotions aside, I don't see anything wrong with Synpower, assuming it meets the engine specs of your vehicle.

Valvoline Synpower is a light weight, GP III, 30 grade oil. Most non HM 30 grade oils are on the light side these days. It has a 100C cSt of 10.5 and a HTHS of 3.0 in both 5W/10W-30. It uses calcium and sodium in the detergent pack and keeps the SA to .93.
The 10W-30 has a NOACK of 8, which is rather good.

I especially like the detergent/anti wear ratio. In UOA's, it is one of the more shear stable oils.

What vehicle are you going to use this oil in?

It's now also 4718M certified.

Has very good cold-crank specs as well - 4,000cst @-30.

Excellent oil!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Considering that Pennzoil Platinum is about $5 for a 5qt jug (after $15 MIR), I'd probably choose it over Synpower right now, if I had to pick between the two. But pricing/promotions aside, I don't see anything wrong with Synpower, assuming it meets the engine specs of your vehicle.

Even without $15 MIR, I would choose PP for reason that it's regular price is only $20 5-qt jug at WM. If both Synpower and PP are same priced, then flip a coin.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

addy, am I missing a recent thread detailing an updated 4718 list of oils? The list I see from almost a year ago does not show it as 4718 certified...instead only on the 6094,

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: addyguy

addy, am I missing a recent thread detailing an updated 4718 list of oils? The list I see from almost a year ago does not show it as 4718 certified...instead only on the 6094,

Current Synpower spec sheet lists 4718M as well:
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf

I was doing a google search for "gm4718m". :)

The link itself is old. They must have just uploaded an updated version of the document not too long ago.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Valvoline Synpower is a light weight, GP III, 30 grade oil. Most non HM 30 grade oils are on the light side these days. It has a 100C cSt of 10.5 and a HTHS of 3.0 in both 5W/10W-30. It uses calcium and sodium in the detergent pack and keeps the SA to .93.
The 10W-30 has a NOACK of 8, which is rather good.

I especially like the detergent/anti wear ratio. In UOA's, it is one of the more shear stable oils.

What vehicle are you going to use this oil in?

FrankN4. It's not all group III. It's a grp III/IV mix
according to their web site.

IMO I think 5W-20 Synpower is top notch oil. Better than PP 5W-20 with their current formula. My dad says it runs great in his 4 cyl 06 Camry. MPG gains more HP... you name it.

I'd like to try their Maxlife ATF. On paper it looks like a quality fluid.

Last edited:
The last oci in our Liberty 3.7 was Q-HP. With that oil, it had some valvetrain clatter at idle. It never worried me, but was noticeable, and was a change from the previous dino oil. I will note that it got it's best-ever mpg with the Q-HP.

I recently changed the oil to Synpower, and the noise at idle is gone. We haven't had it on the road yet, so don't know about mpg.

I had picked up both of these oils when they had good rebates.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

I'd like to try their Maxlife ATF. On paper it looks like a quality fluid.

I've used the ML ATF in two of our vehicles. My 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe with an AOD, and my mother's 1997 F150 with a 4R70W. The stuff seems to be very good fluid. A year after its been changed in the F150 it still smells brand new on the dipstick. Both vehicles seemed to shift better with the ML ATF too. I've been told its fully synthetic. Sorry for the topic hijack just thought I'd reply to that comment.

The GM 4718M spec is also known as the Corvette spec. It's for their high performance specification. For oils to meet the spec, they have to be synthetic and also pass other tests. You didn't say what GM vehicle you have but assuming its not a performance engine it probably specs GM6094M oil. I'm almost positive MaxLife meets the 6094M spec. So you are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back