Valvoline SYNPOWER 5W-20 is now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Valvoline SYNPOWER 5W-20 at Checker Auto Parts today for $4.59 per quart. I just thought I would let everyone know that there is something new out there. Here is a PDF file with technical data from Valvoline. web page

[ May 26, 2004, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

While the specs of this oil seem good. I don't know how "synthetic" it is for the premium price, over 2X+ the price of Motorcraft/Conoco 5W-20. It is definitely better in cold temps than say Motorcraft/Conoco 5W-20 but is that because it has more viscosity improvers or more PAO or Esters. The VI is 170 versus the VI for the Motorcraft/Conoco 5W-20 is 147. I thought that the lower the VI for the same grade oil indicated less VI(Improvers). Also just curious that they list various "Approval/Performance Levels" and Ford's is not included in this 5W-20
dunno.gif

Whimsey

After the bait and switch they pulled on their rebate there is ZERO chance of me buying Valvoline products again. There are plenty of suppliers out there, why do business with one who plays these games?

Check on the rebates and offers forum here to read more.

John

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
After the bait and switch they pulled on their rebate there is ZERO chance of me buying Valvoline products again. There are plenty of suppliers out there, why do business with one who plays these games?

Check on the rebates and offers forum here to read more.

John

$4.50/qt for Group III synth from Valvoline? No thanks. I printed out the rebate, but I'll wait 8 weeks to see if anyone gets their cash back. I doubt they will.

Couple the rebate fiasco with Mobil1 costing only $3.64/qt at Wally World, why would I ever want to buy anything from the big "V"?

Interesting to see all these companies jump on the group III synth bandwagon only and NOT offer a 0w product. Outside of Pennzoil's LL product, seems like only companies that offer 0w oils only offer them when they're made of group IV basestocks. Coincidence? I think not. Just profit-padding.

A guy can buy about 3 quarts of the Motorcraft 5w-20 for the price of one quart of this.......oil .

I would guess the NOACK of the Motorcraft will rival or beat the NOACK of this Valvoline Synthetic oil .

[ May 28, 2004, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
The VI is 170 versus the VI for the Motorcraft/Conoco 5W-20 is 147. I thought that the lower the VI for the same grade oil indicated less VI(Improvers).

This is probably only true when comparing the same grade AND same type, i.e., brand A's 5w20 conventional with brand B's 5w20 conventional. It won't hold true when comparing a conventional to a synthetic because a synthetic (even a Group III) is going to start out with a higher "base" VI because of the higher inherent VI of the base oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back