Valvoline SynP. VS Pennzoil Plat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does valvolines synpower hold up against pennzoil platnum
Ive heard alot of good things about PP and Have ran it my self put I have always ran Valvoline fluids (atf gear oil etc.)

everyone will have a different opinion. most will tell you they're both great oils and to flip a coin or go with whats cheaper.

i just bought a 5qt of synpower for my next change. i just like valvoline more than penn. why? i dont know why.

Last edited:
I used to like PP better because I bough few cases for less than $1/qt, it is all gone. Now I like Synpower better because I got 3 cases for free after rebates from CSK and Valvoline last fall.
55.gif

The catch to the that is the PP was run in a sub-15K engine. I would expect just about any oil to produce better wear numbers at 25K.

With the exception of SynPower 20W50 which may be PAO base..... my read on these are PP is Shell's VHVI base which may be the best GrpIII going while Synpower is likely Korean S-Oil GrpIII base.

I understand the PP to have a custom add pack while Ashland (Valvoline) is a blender and likely to use off-the-shelf additives (which they distribute also).

Things are always changing and this was based on a few years of research. My assessment is PP has the edge if you are going longish OCI. I used both in a 5K OCI and PP was really wasted, I think it could do at at least 7-8K and maybe 10K. Then again Synpower may be able to do it also but I would have higher confidence in PP since don't do UOA.

Last edited:
What group is PP and for the matter how about mobil 1 and mobil ep

any thing after group 3 can be consederd a syn. right but what is really full 100% syn and is there any benfit between say a group 3 and 5

Based on what I've read, group 3 perform very similar to group 4 base stocks. The add packs are the most important aspect. I'd suspect the oils are similar performing but for an extended OCI the Valvoline Synpower might have the edge.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
What group is PP and for the matter how about mobil 1 and mobil ep

any thing after group 3 can be consederd a syn. right but what is really full 100% syn and is there any benfit between say a group 3 and 5

Not all Group V oils are synthetic, but the non-synthetic oils that fall into the Group V category are almost never seen anymore.

Group V is a catch-all group for oils that don't fit into Groups I through IV.

Originally Posted By: ryland
all I know is pp makes my vehicles run like "buttah" and the synpower made the motor very noisy.

I had a similar experience in a 05' Corolla. Ran quieter on PP, but that was a while ago. Didn't they have a formulation change recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back