Valvoline racing oil smells bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

I just bought some Valvoline SAE 50 racing oil to try in my hot running motorcycle. The stuff smells like an old junk yard or gear oil.
Does this oil not have good TBN retention due to the fact it is intended for races that don’t need it?
I am just looking for long engine life like everyone else.

[ October 14, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Jim ]

I would think this oil would not be great for regular usage. I used Valvoline Racing oil in my TR3 when the rings got so worn it was about the only thing that would not burn out. Not so sure that was a great idea. I had the engine rebuilt at 100,000 and no real ill effects from using it.
Racing oil should really be resevered for road racing where the oil gets incrediabily hot. Drag racing regular oils are better for sure. I would guess very little TBN with this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:
I just bought some Valvoline SAE 50 racing oil to try in my hot running motorcycle. The stuff smells like an old junk yard or gear oil.
Does this oil not have good TBN retention due to the fact it is intended for races that don’t need it?
I am just looking for long engine life like everyone else.

Don't know what kind of engine it is but I'll bet it runs even hotter with this heavy oil...

For the "best protection, I'd try Mobil1 15w-50

If you are only using mineral oils, I'd run a HDEO 15w-40 before a SAE 50.

Just my two cents...

I found this post at the ford truck site.
1979 F-100 style side 302 V8.
Joe whitelighting has 240,000 mile on her, never has been rebuilt.
I use Valvoline 20w 50w racing oil.

Is this oil a straight 50 wt?? If so-I would think that would be a huge problem in Michigan. Also I thought racing oil had very little detergent and needs to be drained every race.
dunno.gif
As was mentioned many use the M-1 15W-50. But (MHO) I think that's a little thick for street use.

I have decided to run 20W50 Schaeffer oil in the bike. It’s not too expensive and it has shown to be very good oil for hard use. I measured the oil temperature of the bike on a 70 degree day and it was 220 degrees. I am sure that on a hot day climbing mountain roads it could reach 270 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back