Valvoline products before the Sodium was removed.

pbm

I have some SN (not SN+) Valvoline and NAPA synthetics from their high sodium era. I plan to start using it in my non DI 2.5 Escape but not in my DI Focus because sodium seems to contribute to IVD's in DI engines. Was there anything else bad about sodium in oils other than causing IVD's in DI engines?

I have some SN (not SN+) Valvoline and NAPA synthetics from their high sodium era. I plan to start using it in my non DI 2.5 Escape but not in my DI Focus because sodium seems to contribute to IVD's in DI engines. Was there anything else bad about sodium in oils other than causing IVD's in DI engines?
No wonder when they say that Sodium causes high blood pressure.

Sodium is not used in current API formulations because Sodium add packs often include high doses of calcium. Where we are today, we know that calcium seems to promote LSPI. So cutting down on calcium means sodium isn’t as effective as an additive so that is why sodium is pretty much gone from current API oils.

There wasn't anything else bad about sodium detergents other than contribution to LSPI. It actually didn't contribute much to IVDs. It was just a weak detergent that kinda got left behind.

Sodium is not used in current API formulations because Sodium add packs often include high doses of calcium. Where we are today, we know that calcium seems to promote LSPI. So cutting down on calcium means sodium isn’t as effective as an additive so that is why sodium is pretty much gone from current API oils.
Thanks for the more accurate explanation. So I assume that these high sodium/calcium oils are OK in my non GDI Duratec 2.5....

You should be good to go using older valvoline formulations.
Thanks....now that I realize that the removal of Sodium was more about LSPI than IVD's maybe it's OK to use in my GDI Focus too? I believe LSPI is more of an issue with turbo GDI than non-turbo??

Thanks....now that I realize that the removal of Sodium was more about LSPI than IVD's maybe it's OK to use in my GDI Focus too? I believe LSPI is more of an issue with turbo GDI than non-turbo??
Correct, LSPI is much more prevalent in turboed engines while getting on it and building boost at low RPM.

My wife's Santa Fe Sport is TGDI, has over 200k miles and it got majority VSP (Sodium pkg) for most of those miles. It's never needed IVD cleaning and still runs great, even on 87 octane 75% of the time.
My opinion - The industry made a change in formulations because yes, there were enough issues (LSPI) to prompt action but the vast majority of vehicles with this technology ran fine. I'd use the oil if I had it. But the worry is understandable.

IVD? I don't worry about that all.

Last edited:
Back