Valvoline Price Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Wal Mart earlier and noticed they were setting up two ends and an island display for Valvoline. Their Premium Conventional was $14.00, the Maxlife Blend was $15.50, and the Synpower was $22.50. They are now more expensive than Mobil 1, the only other synthetic they carry on a regular basis.

Did you see if maybe its because it meets the new GF-5 rating?

Also it could be that everyone is about to put their prices up and Valvoline is just ahead of the pack.

Thanks for posting the info.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
GF-5 isn't due out until 2010 I think.
It might not be due but they might be a head of the curve with their formulation which might be more expensive to produce.

Dunno, just trying to offer some explanation.

Where are the Ashland greedy b a s t a r d s posts. Not worth the money...Ripoff.... Better oils for less. Resting on their reputation...Boycott Ashland products ... LOL

Maybe WalMart is playing a game of jacking up the price for a short time so that they can then turn around and advertise a "Roll Back". There could be any number of reasons for what you saw, only one of which is Valvoline increasing its wholesale price to WalMart.

or maybe valvoline is cashing in on their 300,000 mile engine warranty program.... of course, if you read the fine print, the program is almost useless:
- the engine has to be inoperable
- you cant run the car more, as it may cause more damage
- they will pay $5k OR bluebook on the car - whichever is less
- dont skip ANY maintenance along the way (PCV valve, etc)
- 3K OCI

Just ran to Walmart hoping to snag some Maxlife at the original price since my oil consumption hasn't been slowed with M1HM..... Found a lone 5 quart jug of 10W-30 Maxlife full synthetic for $22.50! The dude stocking the shelf said that was the only one they got on the truck!

$25.50 for Synpower here.

W

T

F

?

!

I still have 6-7 cases Synpower 5W20 bought a year ago for either $0.49/qt or $0.99/qt after rebate from Kragen, a case Maxlife Full Synthetic bought few year ago for $0.99/qt after rebate.

I don't buy any more Valvoline Synpower or Maxlife for few years, if the final price is more than $1/qt.

Originally Posted By: brian12
Yeah I was in WM tonight and a jug of Maxlife was $15.50.
Yeah went today. VML went from $14 to $15.50. Valvoline Conventional still $13.

Our brand new huge WalMart has an IMMENSE sign that goes:
"Valvoline is the First Choice for Professional Mechanics"
Since it is the first choice, then that means the price goes up, because they can get more for it, that is how free market works, to ensure that the CEO can get even a MORE HUGE bonus!!!
Fortunately, I have a HUGE stash, and cannot fit any more oil even into my garage.

I have no experience with reg. Valvoline - except I recently chged my sisters oil with it (at her specification) - I noticed it is about the clearest oil (out of the bottle) that I've seen. Which to me means - fewer additives. Which (imo) is not a comforting thought. But I mainly have experience with long drain synths - you don't see many of them coming out clear. I guess I could trust Valv. for 3-4k. :)

a lot of my stash is 1.50 or 2$ a quart. the synthetic stash is on average 2.50 or 3$ a quart.
I cannot replace my stash for what i paid for it.
Plus it looks very pretty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
I have no experience with reg. Valvoline - except I recently chged my sisters oil with it (at her specification) - I noticed it is about the clearest oil (out of the bottle) that I've seen. Which to me means - fewer additives. Which (imo) is not a comforting thought. But I mainly have experience with long drain synths - you don't see many of them coming out clear. I guess I could trust Valv. for 3-4k. :)

Mobil Clean 5000 is as clear as water. Must not have any additives at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back