Valvoline Playing the "Recommended Game"

What licensing bodies? Once amount of oil that manufacturer requires is sent, it doesn’t take long.

VW charges 3,200 euros. Are you talking approval cost or development cost? European manufacturers are not involved into this licensing BS. Oil is either approved or not. They don’t need another source of income like GM does.
Yeah … you say that over and over … but I buy Dex VI for $5 and LG8 for $22 if lucky …

Who cares other than that ?

Yeah … you say that over and over … but I buy Dex VI for $5 and LG8 for $22 if lucky …

Not sure I follow. I would say there is difference in application. However, Dexos engine oils license and let’s say VW 504.00/507.00 are different from manufacturers perspective. Dexos is licensed, VW is one time approval.

Seems like every manufacturer (VW, BMW, MB, GM, Porsche) wants money for their stamp, and you've got ilsac, API

Seem like the process is - develop, test and then license and with the licensing you submit your individual tests, then they retest.
No. Approval process costs money. It is in VW, BMW etc. interest for customer to understand what oil must be used (this subject was discussed numerous times). GM is doing licensing thing. They take money from oil sold (how else they would make money?). So, don’t mix what VW, BMW, MB doing and what GM is doing. Do you really think VW base its strategy on 3,200 euros fee for approval? Is that why they are able to absorb $40 billion dieselgate?

Ok, how are we going from oil approvals to transmission fluids? Now that we are talking about them, I really wish ZF would give approvals for transmission fluids. But I can see why they don't BMW says it's "Lifetime".

No. Approval process costs money. It is in VW, BMW etc. interest for customer to understand what oil must be used (this subject was discussed numerous times). GM is doing licensing thing. They take money from oil sold (how else they would make money?). So, don’t mix what VW, BMW, MB doing and what GM is doing. Do you really think VW base its strategy on 3,200 euros fee for approval? Is that why they are able to absorb $40 billion dieselgate?

It all adds up though Eddy.

We're talking about why oil manufacturers play the "recommended" game, not how VW affords diesel gate.

That is not VW’s problem. Discussion around “recommended” language is debated here since, IDK, 2004?

Who said it was VW's problem?

Its the oil companies problem.

Yup - just ike OCI's and FCI's.

Who said it was VW's problem?

Its the oil companies problem.

Yup - just ike OCI's and FCI's.
I am not sure it is oil manufacturers problem too. It is drivers problem. This Valvoline language is bit more “honest” for the lack of better word. Reason is that BMW updated LL01 and increased already ridiculous oxidation requirements to crazy levels. Reason for that is OCI. Basically, their 0W40 would be approved pre-2018 update.
The real problem are manufacturers who don’t have approvals at all, but only recommendations. Valvoline is not in that business.

Yeah, they need to be careful. Those German cars have sensors that analyze the engine oil that gets put in them and if it's not an approved one, the engine self-destructs ! :rolleyes:
Yeah, my BMW says “non approved oil, change immediately “.

Back