Valvoline Oil Jug Packaging - New?

Hey BITOG Team,

Changed oil today in my wife's ride. It has been a while since I bought Valvoline, but WM had it on sale (5w30 Synthetic Dexos). https://www.valvoline.com/en/produc...80.1138951883.1648433539-343059490.1648433539

I have to say, with all other things being equal, their (new to me) packaging met me with pleasant surprise. The easy open pull ring on the jug is so much better than dealing with foil seal on most other oil packaging. Also the see through clear cap allows you to pre-inspect the top of the jug in the store to make sure it hasn't been previously opened. I know it seems like a little thing, but I sure like these two features that I might just switch for good to Valvoline. Maybe one of you guys know how long this packaging has been around, but I dont seem to recall seeing it 6 months ago.

Mobil 1, and Castrol should take note.

The Easy pour jug has been a thing for several years now. I'm sure the design of the bottle is probably patented and would have to be licensed by other manufacturers, Personally I don't care much for the easy pour jug, I've never had problems with any other jugs glugging when I pour them, and I hate the molded spout it actually spreads the oil out farther than just a round opening makes it harder to pour into other containers without dirtying a funnel. Also when I got a large shipment of oil from walmart the easy pour bottles seemed to be the worst about forming leaks up around the seam where the pour spout is mounted. I like the wide opening on Castrol and Mobil bottles the best, I just wish they'd use an easy pull seal like Valvoline or Chevron uses on their jugs. I hate SOPUS jugs the most, they have rather small openings and rely on the hard rubber on the underside of the cap to serve as a crush washer to seal the jug, often they're hard to reopen if you get them sealed and the material can easily get overcrushed where the cap no longer tightens down.

I don’t think it took that long. Where did you see that?

🤷‍♂️ Sounds nuts to me too.

Untitled.jpg

I like these jugs, and their awesome gear oil pouches.

I don't really have an issue with "glugging" on other jugs but I do notice if you are pouring a different style jug into say a lawnmower engine or something small it can be a pain to pour it slowly, where it works better with this style. Even holding it sideways can still be too fast with the others.

The new easy pour jugs leaks a lot. Look at reviews for the maxlife on WM.com. And I have experienced a lot leaks while in transit as well.

Wish they kept it simply like pennzoil or Mobil 1.

The new easy pour jugs leaks a lot. Look at reviews for the maxlife on WM.com. And I have experienced a lot leaks while in transit as well.

Wish they kept it simply like pennzoil or Mobil 1.

Banging around any jug can cause leaks. All of the reviews you mentioned stated that the box was dropped or thrown around.

Banging around any jug can cause leaks. All of the reviews you mentioned stated that the box was dropped or thrown around.
My experience has been a lot more leaks with valvoline easy pour. 10:1 ratio compared to pennzoil, Castrol, and Mobil 1. All shipped the same way 🤷‍♂️

Also the big mouth opening tends to collect a little of oil, can make a mess when pouring or topping off.

Last edited:
Ok so here we have it. Several different experiences with the same product. Thanks for all that have commented. I poured my used oil back in the jug. I have another car to service and then I will take the used oil up to the oil change place. They gladly accept the used oil.

Back