Valvoline Numbers Comparison

So, of out of all the name-brand oils for street use, it appears the Valvoline FS HM has the most zddp? Seems all other oils in the same league are using up to 850ppm, while Valvoline FS HM is up to 950ppm. I might consider using this in my old Toyota pickup if the zddp is on the high end of modern standards.

Which is actually a bit silly since the viscosity difference between an oil with a 5W winter rating and one with a 10W rating will only be significant at temperatures somewhere around and below 0F. Above that they are essentially the same. “Cold” and “thin” are relative.

Thanks for the info.

I'll stress that I wasn't at all nervous about running 10/30 instead of 5/30. Just genuinely curious about some of the numbers.

And one other question then I'll abandoned ship. I don't own any GM vehicles....so it's not relevant. But why do you think the 10/30 doesn't have Dexos approval vs the 5/30.....especially given how close they are
10W30 is just not a typically specified(recommended/required, whatever) oil much these days. But that's not to say that a 10W30 isn't a good grade of oil, it is indeed! And since fuel economy is such a high requirement for auto makers, they want an engine to get the highest MPG possible and the recommended/required oil is only a small part of that...along with lighter weight vehicles, aerodynamics, low rolling resistance(LRR) tires, etc.

Plus, the auto makers & oil companies work together to come up with oil grades for not only fuel economy but low speed pre-ignition(LSPI), GDi/TGDi, Start/Stop systems and a host of other reasons that my pea brain can't come up with at this time.

Last edited:
Back