Valvoline NextGen Tech Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this stuff is old. found a coupe threads on it. i read a couple people saying it's good oil, just poorly marketed and priced.

i've never made "an offer" on a product in a parts store, but i doubt they'd take my $1/quart offer, right? :p

NO ONE is gonna buy this oil!!!! lemme have it for a $1/qt!

sorry, not an informative thread. just wanted to whine about expensive old oil and see if anyone had a trick to get it cheaper without having to resort to dating the store manager. :p

IMG_4980.JPG

Last edited:
If you came into the parts store I work at and found a quart or two of that old stuff I could probably give it to you for like $1.99 but $1 ain't gonna happen!

My local NAPA has about 250 quarts of it in the back, the manager said just in the district there is probably several thousand quarts that arent even for sale, just sitting in the back room. I bought 2 cases a few years ago from the manager at $1/qt. He ended up 'getting in trouble' and wouldnt sell me any more.
Supposedly they are going to send them back to Valvoline..but how do you recycle recycled oil? From what i remember the NextGen Maxlife was the better stuff...but its not worth chasing.

Years ago my WM was sitting on a bunch on clearance but wasn't moving
I offered .50 cents a qt and took all they had home with me.
You just make an offer and see.

Actually, of all the NextGen oil, this conventional 5W20 is the stuff you DON'T want!!
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Valvolinenextgen.htm
NOACK WAY too high (15.3-18%), would have led to high consumption. At the time O'Reilly was getting rid of NextGen, they also had a $5 off $5 promo going simultaneously, I cleaned out all the NG MaxLife I could find, especially 10W40, and the stuff has been working very well, and it came out to well under $1/quart.

That looks like Pep Boys to me.

Same here - - Pep Boys in Waco has a shelf full of the stuff, still marked ridiculously high (just like that is)

Been on the shelf probably close to 10 years

They'll never mark it down, and never sell it either.

They are likely no longer in the store's inventory, just waiting for Valvoline to send a truck to take them somewhere (i.e. dollar store, Ross, oversea, bulk customers, etc). So technically if the manager sell them to you he is selling someone else's stuff.

It will go somewhere eventually, but maybe right now they don't want to flood the market pushing the price down too much.

Originally Posted by dogememe
If you came into the parts store I work at and found a quart or two of that old stuff I could probably give it to you for like $1.99 but $1 ain't gonna happen!
Yeah, $1.99 ain't gonna happen when I just bought 35 quarts of M1AP (each) for just a penny more. Or M1EP, or even STP HM Full Syn... All are superior. Hope your store likes cluttering shelves with junk, it's not going anywhere for a while with that mentality.

Nothing personal or meant in a mean way, just saying. Anyone even remotely considering it knows how much it's worth, which isn't much on the current market that's flooded with great $1-2 oils.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
..but how do you recycle recycled oil?

Do you think that can only be done once or something?

I wish all oils were recycled and 100% synthetic @ a cheap bargain price.

Think about it, you buy a 5qt jug, use it and return a 5qt jug of old oil. It gets recycled, goes thru the refining process and you end up purchasing it again during your next oil change (mixed with someone else's oil, but whatever)

Unless your vehicle burns oil (or leaks) you should NEVER have to use more then the 5qts of oil (or whatever amount your engine holds) for the life of the vehicles.

The old mentality of... "you use 500 gallons of conventional oil vs 100 gallons if you use Synthetic with extended OCI" is FLAWED. You're not throwing away perfectly good old oil.

If the world was really trying to conserve resourses, we would not need to produce an ounce of new oil, except for new vehicles.

It's the stigma and insufficient marketing that did it in.

Why would I put used oil in my engine, when for just a few dollars more I could get Pennzoil Platinum which gives me better fuel economy and protects horsepower?
(Not my line of thinking, but possibly that of the mass-market consumer)

Originally Posted by AP9
It's the stigma and insufficient marketing that did it in.

Yep. The successful blenders using re-refined bases in their products know better than to advertise that fact
wink.gif

Not only am I one of those 600 that know about the NOACK issue, I am currently running this oil in my Accord. I have around 4 cases in the 5w-20 variety and started using it last oil change. To add to the fun I actually purchased it ( free after rebate for those who remember) just a few miles from the location on the PQIA report. I did mix it with some VWB thinking that would reduce the NOACK issue a bit but I'm no chemist. Don't remember it being in white bottles. Mine are green like the PQIA picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back