Valvoline Nextgen in Roush Fenway Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Nationwide race yesterday and when they interviewed Edwards he mentioned Nextgen and said that`s what the Roush team uses in their cars,and that his oil temp was a steady 320 degrees,saying the oil holds up perfectly at those temps. Just how extreme is 320 degrees to a motor oil?

That is quite hot for an oil temp, the average group III "synthetic" flash point is 370 degrees, so that is pushing it pretty hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
320F is very hot indeed and you will never see anything approaching that on the street short of a water pump failure.
A mineral oil can't handle oils temp's above 260F before breaking down.
At that those extreme temp's, that's the purview exclusively of GP IV & V oils.

300-325 degrees Fahrenheit is about when conventional motor oil starts coking.

370 degrees Fahrenheit seems low for a group III oil average.

Synpower: 428-433
Pennzoil Ultra: 435
Quaker State: 440 except for 0w-20 which is 435

Nextgen has a flash point of 428. Red Line's racing oil has flash points of over 500.

Nothing says theyre using run of the mill nexgen. They may be putting the nexgen process to revamp/recycle some specialty oil.

If they're using run of the mill 5w-30 Dino, I'd be surprised. But if they could just have syn, why not? Penske racing is running regular PU 5w-40... It's just a matter of basestock. Nexgen on syn doesnt scare me.

I would be very surprised if any of those engines ran off the shelf lubricants. Valvoline likely provided a very special mixture just for the racing, perhaps using homeopathic quantities of Nexgen oil.

The penske cars did, run of the mill 5w-40 ultra like I have in my basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back