Valvoline NextGen--generous shelf space at Wally's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

I've got to take a photo of the oil shelf at the local WalMart and post it!!! Open space where all the ___________ (fill in any other brand) oil was and then all the bright green jugs of that 50% recycled stuff stacked deep and gathering dust. Is it just my twisted vitriolic mind or is this stuff destined to be a colossal product failure? I just don't think the public is going to buy this stuff regardless of whether it is a quality product or not--and I don't know if it is or not. I just don't think that many DIY'ers that are going to choose this oil over a non-recycled oil and stick it in there vehicles. Don't know if this topic has been posted before, so if it has---my apologies. But it struck me as really funny for some reason to see all those pretty green bottles undisturbed and the amount of shelf space they took up.

Yes, NextGen has been discussed but not necessarily about 'the space' it retains on the shelf.

No doubt. My Wal-Mart is the same way, or maybe it's the neon green color that just makes it seem like a wall of NextGen.

One thing is for certain, the stuff doesn't seem to be moving or when i go, they just re-stocked. If it's not, I'll be somewhat surprised since i live in a fairly eco-focused area.

In theory, I think Valvoline is on to something but how it will play out is another. The NextGen stuff is every bit as good as the white bottle, I believe, BUT i don't see a 'value added.' If 'saving energy resources' is the value added and the price remains the same as the white bottle, then it fails hands down in my mind. Sure, a bunch of people might buy it on altruistic notions but what about the majority of do-it-yourselfers? Heck, some people on here don't even like Mobil 1, much less a recycled fluid! (And I don't mind either personally)

I think it's a tough hill for Valvoline to climb but if they can do it, well good on them.

It really is too early to tell how well this is going to sell. I just bought a few 5 qt jugs of the 5w20, as it's $2 cheaper than the white bottle.

Meanwhile, some of BITOG's favorite oils have the dustiest bottles at my nearest walmart. Pennzoil Ultra, Syntec, Edge, Mobil 1 (0w30, 0w20), QSUD just don't sell here.

At the other end of the spectrum PYB, PP, QSGB, Synpower, Maxlife, GTX, Supertech, and all other Mobil 1 grades are almost always fresh stock.

Im going to use it this time in the safari, only because of the $10 mir. I too never see any bottles missing. Its like selling biodiesel $1 more than reg diesel. Nobody will buy it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The stuff is $6.45 qt at the local Walmart and its not selling.
No surprise there.

The general public are going to read "recycled oil" and RUN!, this oil is going to flop, not 1 qt has moved at my store..lol

none of the G oil has either

How could you possibly tell if "not 1 qt has moved" unless you work there? (Facetiousness begins now) Do you go in with a Sharpie and put marks on the containers, then go back and check to see if those marked containers are still there?

Hasn't recycled oil been tried before? Not saying it won't succeed, but I didn't think it was a new concept as far as selling to consumers.

Originally Posted By: glum
How could you possibly tell if "not 1 qt has moved" unless you work there? (Facetiousness begins now) Do you go in with a Sharpie and put marks on the containers, then go back and check to see if those marked containers are still there?

Brother works the oil department.(want me to have him call you? PM me your number?)
wink.gif

i always get inside info when something is on clearance.

PLUS..say PYB, Mobil,etc you ALWAYS see missing qts/jugs.

your all red don't get so upset, i see your a tree hugger huh?

Originally Posted By: cchase
Hasn't recycled oil been tried before? Not saying it won't succeed, but I didn't think it was a new concept as far as selling to consumers.

Years ago WM tried selling 100% recycled oil i remember holding it in my hand and talking about it with my brother at the time, and it was soon pulled never was a good seller he said.

most people don't know what we here do they see recycle and assume it's garbage.

Hi guys
I think that the only way it will sell is to be alot cheaper. I know the argument about it costs just as much to refine again and everything else which might be true,but to the guys doing their own oil changes it wont matter.There are just too many other oils to choose from. I think cost is the main deal.JMO

Originally Posted By: VRAY
Hi guys
I think that the only way it will sell is to be alot cheaper. I know the argument about it costs just as much to refine again and everything else which might be true,but to the guys doing their own oil changes it wont matter.There are just too many other oils to choose from. I think cost is the main deal.JMO

I agree

Originally Posted By: JustinH
If they put the right price on the recycled oil, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Not worth paying a premium, however.

I'm struck by the idea that it would do worse if they market it for less than virgin oil. If somebody came in and saw that it was cheaper. They might say, "hmmm, it's cheaper because it isn't as good." I agree that it should be very close in price to the virgin stuff.

IMHO, people who are freaking out about it being recycled, don't know much about motor oil. I'd definitely consider it if it came in a 0w20.

Cheers, Bryan

Valvoline could do this better.

It should be at least competitively priced with other oils.

"Let's see, recycled oil of unknown quality for $6 a quart or big green jug of Quaker State of known quality for about $2.50 a quart....hmmmm..."

What's the consumer going to choose?

Originally Posted By: glum

Thats a good idea, I might just do that! Doesn't look like it's moved much if at all here either.

Actually, I have bought 3 jags of NextGen. It is good price and look pretty good. I have not get chance to use them yet, because I just changed oil right before they come out. I would post the result when I use them.

My Wal-Mart is selling it for $3.87/qt. Priced very competitively with the other oils. Sounds like you guys need to direct your complaints to your local Wal-Marts, not Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My Wal-Mart is selling it for $3.87/qt. Priced very competitively with the other oils. Sounds like you guys need to direct your complaints to your local Wal-Marts, not Valvoline.

My Walmart doesnt' even have it.

I dont think many will pay the same price as regular Valvoline but time will tell. I have been wrong many times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back