Valvoline MTF and other gearbox oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently changed the transmission oil (Pennzoil MTF which is about the same as the Valvoline MTF) in my gearbox and while reading the reviews on different sites I have found this PDF file: http://www.carquestprofessionals.co...id%20Application%20Guide%20%206.6.13.pdf

It looks like an official recommendation from Valvoline. It is very interesting that they recommend to use their MTF in place of any OEM GL-3 GL-4 oil. So any 75W-90, 75W-85 GL-4 which are very common for Korean, Japanese cars can be replaced with the Valvoline MTF. What do you, guys, think?

I saw a video from a transmission expert who tested different MT fluids and his opinion is to go with newer technology (lighter viscosity) to prevent problems associated with drainback. Most of the imports also suggest the lighter fluids with twin countershaft models.. I would use the MTF fluid for smoother shifting and better fuel economy.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
It is very interesting that they recommend to use their MTF in place of any OEM GL-3 GL-4 oil. So any 75W-90, 75W-85 GL-4 which are very common for Korean, Japanese cars can be replaced with the Valvoline MTF. What do you, guys, think?

No, though it may claim so.
Valv synchromesh MTF is itself a GL4 with KV40 49.9 cSt and KV100 8.8 cSt.
It does NOT meet MTF SAE 75W85 and 75W90 GL4 specifications.

Last edited:
This is why I asked. I guess they are aware that the oil is a thin 75W-80 but they recommend it for all cars except those which need a GL-5 oil. Either they don't know what they are doing or there is no problem to use a thinner oil. In my opinion, it is silly to use the same viscosity in Malaysia and Canada but it is what it is. And the people waste so much money trying different thick oils in colder climates just because the user manual says so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back