Valvoline Modern Engine or Mobil 1 EP 0W20 for 1.5T Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably one or the other with a Fram Ultra filter this weekend. Factory fill will be at around 4500 miles.

One more of a benefit than the other or a wash for this GDI Turbo engine?

Pick up some PP5w30 D1G2 - lowest 30weight (around 9.6) and will give you solid cushion for fuel dilution. VME is too expensive for what it is.

If this change is before the MM is down to 15% or so, keep in mind Honda believes the extra molybdenum in the factory fill aids break-in by preventing hot spots on cylinder walls as they and piston rings conform. Thus Honda's preference that the ff remain in for a full first OCI.

Idemitsu Zepro with Moly is available on Amazon and has molybdenum content similar to what's found in a Honda factory fill. You may want to consider using it for this next OCI, then revert to something available at WalMart.

Honda's 1.5T has a well-deserved reputation for fuel dilution, so paying particular attention to engine break-in seems prudent. Eventually going to a 30-weight probably has merit as well, though there's the whole warranty debate to consider.

Last edited:
I would be taking the vehicle to the dealer for oil changes until they sort out the fuel dilution issues on the 1.5 just in case something goes wrong. At the least use Honda Filters and Honda oil and keep receipts just because of the known issues would be my advice because Honda doesn't have a fix for this issue.

Originally Posted by Mainia
He is in the USA, he doesn't have to fear warranty denial like you Canadians do for a simple oil change.

Right but it makes a claim far easier.

If your going to change it less than or equal to the factory recommended OCI just use the cheapest off the shelf 0W20 you can find.

I'd choose the M1, only because it's available anywhere, anytime, often at good discounts. And, I'd change it at half the recommended interval. Fuel dilution of 0W-water is not a good thing.

If I follow the Maintenance Minder my guess is I'll be close to 10K miles before I'm prompted to change it. I'm at 60% I believe in just under 5K miles. Not sure I feel comfortable going that long. Should any break in of the engine be pretty close to done by now? I do 100 miles a day almost exclusively highway so I pile up the miles pretty quickly.

I dropped FF on mine at around 4,500mi. Glad I did. Level was rising. UOA showed viscosity below 6 and my MM has been as well at around 60%. 23,500; on the clock - enjoying reasonable pulls with 6MT and 1.5T every morning
smile.gif

Originally Posted by parshisa
I dropped FF on mine at around 4,500mi. Glad I did. Level was rising. UOA showed viscosity below 6 and my MM has been as well at around 60%. 23,500; on the clock - enjoying reasonable pulls with 6MT and 1.5T every morning
smile.gif

Worst dipstick ever to get an accurate reading......did you put in exactly 3.7 quarts (or as close as you can guesstimate) or a little less?

The dipstick is not actually too bad, you just need to get used to it and look at it at a certain angle. Usually it takes 3.4-3.5qts to get the level right at the top mark. Depending on how bad or good the fuel dilution is in your engine you may want to add a little less than 3.5 to leave some room for total volume expansion (no/very minimal FD on mine so I always fill it up to the top mark). hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back