Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted Valvoline to inquire about the HTHS of their VME formula 5w30 a couple days ago.

The ME formula has and HTHS of 3.0cp for anyone who is curious as I was

VME 5w30;
KV100 - 9.8
KV40 - 55
VI - 165
HTHS - 3.0cp

I have a ton of this from AZ clearance sales. Their VAS 5w30 has and HTHS of 3.2cp

I wonder if the modern engine formula is more or less shear stable? It's definitely quite a bit lighter in grade.

Thumbs up to Mathew @ Valvoline's customer question hotline for excellent customer service and follow through. Very pleased with their customer service and overall product knowledge over the phone.

I think you just answered your own question.

But why would you really care about a minuscule difference in shear stability?

Just run it and see how it does in your application.

You can bench race all day and get nowhere - literally~

I have run the advanced synthetic and it was fantastic.

Is this going in the Tucson? Is that not a 0W20 spec?

Considering the minimum for a 5W-30 is 2.9 and the repeatability of one of the applicable ASTM tests is 2.3% (reproducibility 3.6%) I think it would be difficult to make much of a valid comparison.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Of course I'm going to run it. Posted as General information as they do not post HTHS on the website for VME.

Tucson 1.6T specs 5w30 synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
I contacted Valvoline to inquire about the HTHS of their VME formula 5w30 a couple days ago.

VME 5w30;
KV100 - 9.8
KV40 - 55
VI - 165
HTHS - 3.0cp

I have a ton of this from AZ clearance sales. Their VAS 5w30 has and HTHS of 3.2cp

I wonder if the modern engine formula is more or less shear stable? It's definitely quite a bit lighter in grade.

Thumbs up to Mathew @ Valvoline's customer question hotline for excellent customer service and follow through. Very pleased with their customer service and overall product knowledge over the phone.

I have always been impressed with Valvoline's Technical Support. They always respond very timely and with good information!

Of course I'm going to run it. Posted as General information as they do not post HTHS on the website for VME.

Let us know how it goes. I loved the Advanced, but I am sure Modern Engine is different - and if it is better than Advanced (!) it is likely the best affordable "synthetic" oil you can buy at a WM or AZ or AAP.

Enjoy!

Let us know how it goes. I loved the Advanced, but I am sure Modern Engine is different - and if it is better than Advanced (!) it is likely the best affordable "synthetic" oil you can buy at a WM or AZ or AAP.

Enjoy!

I will update! I have quite a bit so I will be running it for quite a while. Always had good performance and low wear in UOAs with the old Synpower formulation that the Advanced replaced.

Last edited:

VME 5w30;
KV100 - 9.8
KV40 - 55
VI - 165
HTHS - 3.0cp

Glad you received good customer service. The guy I spoke to several times was a dope. He was borderline rude and didn't know anything.

[/quote]
I have always been impressed with Valvoline's Technical Support. They always respond very timely and with good information![/quote]

Valvoline's Thom Smith chaired API on lubricants.
Unfortunately he died this summer in his mid 60's.

I'm a Mobil and a Valvoline fan if I'm not buying at retail price.

One of the things I like about Valvoline is they have their own In house engine test facility in Ashland where they can do ASTM testing. I believe they are the only formulator to have an in House engine test facility.

Some will say third party testing is better, However they are able to test to API and ILSAC standards 24/7 as well as test against competitors products in house.

That said I've never seen an engine ran on Mobil or Valvoline that wasn't spotless inside.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Valvoline is well respected and has had some good changes since they separated off from Ashland.

Never had a problem with them even when they were Ashland. Our family's 1962 Volvo PV 544 ran on that its whole life until it was sold. Got over 30 MPG highway and at 300,000 it burned less than a quart in an OCI. Trust me between myself and my sister that car saw some hard miles.

I would agree. The point with Ashland was that some still may not realize that they are no longer together.

Valvoline has been around since the beginning. I have no trouble using them.

Thom Smith seemed like a nice guy. I spoke to him years ago when I was questioning whether it was ok to use MaxLife in a new engine being the ML contains more/unique seal conditioners. He said absolutely and that is what he used in his car from day 1.

I'm not sure Ashland hurt or helped Valvoline but I was aware of their separation.

For quick lube places, I think Valvoline Instant Oil Change is the best.

Originally Posted by buster
Thom Smith seemed like a nice guy. I spoke to him years ago when I was questioning whether it was ok to use MaxLife in a new engine being the ML contains more/unique seal conditioners. He said absolutely and that is what he used in his car from day 1.

I'm not sure Ashland hurt or helped Valvoline but I was aware of their separation.

Agree on VIOC being the best quick lube stations. Prices are high, but you know what you are getting and you get to watch the service being performed. It's a great model.

I was glad to see Valvoline go public on their own. I've been buying some VVV to add to my portfolio lately. Great company, great trusted products, and a great history.

Originally Posted by buster

Agree on VIOC being the best quick lube stations. Prices are high, but you know what you are getting and you get to watch the service being performed. It's a great model.

I was glad to see Valvoline go public on their own. I've been buying some VVV to add to my portfolio lately. Great company, great trusted products, and a great history.

I watch first hand the service I perform and for way less than half that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back