Valvoline Modern Engine 0w-20 | 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 w/5.3 L83. miles: 47,183 OCI: 11,364

I have had this truck since new approaching 5 years. Prior to the switch to Valvoline Modern Engine (VME) Synthetic 0w-20, it had 4 free oil changes it's first couple years under 22000 miles and two paid oil changes all done at the dealer oil change using GM's recommended 0w-20 oil and GM's filter.

I decided to make the switch to VME and a Wix XP oil filter. The main reason is Valvoline's claim that VME helps mitigate carbon fouling of intake valves on direct injection engines.

Prior to changing oil, i did an intake valve cleaning using CRC intake valve & Turbo spray cleaner. I then drove the vehicle for an hour, then changed the oil

I originally planned to go to 0% on the Oil Life Monitor and then change it. But life and laziness got in the way and went about 30 to 35% past. So let's say 133%, lol. Normally 0% gets about 8500 miles on the oil

The only mods on the engine are an Airaid MIT intake tube and an Airaid DRY performance air filter in the oem air box. I try to run Shell 93octane gas when available. I'm at sea level and can usually hear some detonation when the tank is full of mostly 87 octane.

Here is Blackstones oil analysis at just after 47k on the engine and just over 11k on the oil.

1600397234757~2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. We've only had one other VME UOA posted. It's not a very popular oil, but the price of it tells me it is unique.

I'd drop the interval down to 8k or go from there.

Thanks for posting. We've only had one other VME UOA posted. It's not a very popular oil, but the price of it tells me it is unique.

I'd drop the interval down to 8k or go from there.

I'm probably just gonna do it when it hits 0% on the monitor (around 8500mi). This wasn't my intent to run it this long but I'm not dissapointed with the results after viewing a bunch of other L83 UOA results.

Last edited:
Given the universal averages and length of the OCI, I'd say it looks pretty good. One thing to note is that Blackstone's fuel dilution figures are inferred from flashpoint, not actually measured and tends to be low, so odds are you've got more fuel than claimed.

This oil uses some unique proprietary additives or base oils to help prevent IVD's, so they claim. It looks anemic on paper, but the price of it suggests there is something costly in the mix.

Back