Valvoline ML Sync 5w30, 15,941km, '07 Chev Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally wanted to do 10,000 km, but ended up going to 16,000 km on oil change for friends work van. Oil was 1/2 litre low, was not topped up between oil changes. The lab actually messed up the results they sent me first and when I phoned and asked why the TAN/TBN was only for the new oil they ran the oil again, went from a normal "rank" to critical. What do you guys things? From the reading I've done the higher copper is a acceptable thing with the LSx series motors? What about the NOx and COx?

Code:

2007 Chevrolet Express 2500 4.8L

OIL Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w30

MILES IN USE 15,941 km

MILES 152,941 km

SAMPLE DATE 03 JUL 2015

New Used

Al 0 3

Cr 0 1

Cu 0 55

Fe 0 28

Sn 0 1

Pb 0 5

Si 0 3

Mo 0 24

Ni 0 1

Ag 0 0

K 0 2

Na 299 271

B 0 9

Ba 0 1

Ca 2083 1930

Mg 8 13

Mn 0 2

P 704 594

Zn 896 804

Glycol N

H2O N

Viscosity 40°C 61.3 64.0

Viscosity 100°C 10.3 10.7

SOOT 0.0

OXD 24

NOX 30

COX 30

SO4 6

ZDDP 0

TAN 1.62 2.45

TBN 8.1 4.1

Significance of Result / Recommended Action

Higher than expected levels of oil oxidation products may indicate that the fluid has reached

the end of its useful lifetime. Identify and evaluate the source. Consider changing the oil.

Resample to monitor. Higher than expected copper levels may indicate normal or abnormal wear

depending on what other elements are flagged. If copper is the only element flagged, continued

normal monitoring is adequate. In cases where other wear elements are flagged, this may indicate

the presence of abnormal wear. High copper levels may also indicate the presence of cooling

water leaks or scaling compounds. Identify and evaluate the source. Consider filtering or

changing the oil. Higher than expected levels of nitration may indicate that the fluid has

reached the end of its useful lifetime. Identify and evaluate the source. Consider changing the

oil. Resample to monitor.

Last edited:
Just thought I might add the OLM was reset at the first oil change and came on about 1000km before we did the oil change above.

Looks okay, I'd probably just go with the oil life monitor and keep using synthetic. Your TBN and TAN are fine but wear metals are begging to accumulate and probably become abrasive.

Currently using an AC Delco filter do you think going to something better like a Napa Gold (Wix) would be beneficial?

Is this the red-bottled synthetic blend Maxlife, or actual full-syn Maxlife?

AFAIK, full-syn Maxlife isn't sold in Canada.

If this is the syn-blend Maxlife, it did good for 16k km (10k miles).

How much time on the oil? Did it go through winter? What type of driving - city/hwy,short trips? Any towing or severe van load?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Is this the red-bottled synthetic blend Maxlife, or actual full-syn Maxlife?

AFAIK, full-syn Maxlife isn't sold in Canada.

If this is the syn-blend Maxlife, it did good for 16k km (10k miles).

Yes it is the red bottle. And yes you appear to be right that it is a synthetic blend. It was recommended to me on this forum, so when I saw Maxlife and Synthetic in the store I just assumed it was the right stuff... guess not! I would like to run a full synthetic next oil fill. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
How much time on the oil? Did it go through winter? What type of driving - city/hwy,short trips? Any towing or severe van load?

3 or 4 months. No it did not go through winter, our winters are pretty mild though compared to the rest of Canada. No towing, but occasional heavy loads carried in the van. Always has tools and half a dozen refrigerant gas cylinders.

It did well for a semi synthetic. Its a very good product. You can order the full synthetic maxlife at WalMart.com and have it shipped for free pickup to store. Or continue using the semi synthetic maxlife and cap it off at 8k or so.

I wonder if they'll ship to Canada? I would imagine shipping would be outrageous... Maybe I am better off going with the other synthetic that was recommended to me, M1 HM.

For what it's worth I talked to my buddy and the OLM came on at 13,000 km (8000 miles). Very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back