Valvoline Mercon V for Esso (VW/Audi/BMW) apps? Valv says so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Maxlife Dexron III/Mercon in my wife's Honda and it shifts better than the Z1 fluid. Also, since it's out of warrenty, I like that Valvoline is standing behind it as I know Honda isn't.

THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
June 7, 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MERCON V ATF and its use in various vehicles beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, or MERCON V approved products. In response to these questions Valvoline has issued the following statements:

Valvoline supports the use of MERCON V ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, and MERCON V fluids including those where the following fluids are recommended:

o GM DEXRON II
o Allison C-4
o Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluids
o Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
o Hyundai
o Honda ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
o BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
o Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, or Matic-K fluids

MaxLife ATF is recommended for the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions, except the Ford 5R110, Ford 6RXX, and the Mercedes Benz W7A700 (7G-TRONIC) which all require a low viscosity Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MERCON V ATF performance in these transmissions. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MERCON V ATF.

Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MERCON V ATF. Use of MERCON V ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle‼sup>TMs warranty. In the unlikely event that any transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MERCON V ATF,
please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL.

Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT‼sup>TMs) or in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F is recommended.

Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Technical Director
Valvoline Brand

http://e34.org/forums/posts/52539

Still not rushing to use it in place of oem Audi fluid, but it's interesting.

I see BMW only sells 20l pails of ATF at 2x the Audi price, yikes!

I am wondering about the same thing on my Honda (Integra), Valvoline's Mercon V seems like a good fluid that worth the $4. Mind telling me which Honda you use it on?

the BMW LT71141 spec is the same Esso LT71141 spec for the ZF transmissions in VWs, Audis, BMWs, probably some others. I put the Valvoline Mercon V in an Audi Allroad last week and it seems to run great so far.

Also this is not approved by ZF but it is recommended and "backed" by Valvoline.

...in an allroad? Pricey if it tanks. Good to know someone will be the guenia pig. Good luck, keep us posted. I always figured Mobil 1 to be a default fluid for these apps.

mobil does not support m1 atf in zf applications, although several folks at passatworld and audiworld are using it. also asked a bitog member whom i consider very knowledgeable for his opinion of both m1 and valv v, and he thought the valv v would be the better choice (m1 is dextron iii rated). that recommendation and the support of valvoline in the zf application was why i decided to try it. ymmv.

even pricier to leave the oem atf in the tranny "for life". maybe someone can explain how the oem stuff has a three year shelf life (as it reads from the bottle), yet is magically transformed into "lifetime" fluid when it gets into a transmission.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
I use the Maxlife Dexron III/Mercon in my wife's Honda and it shifts better than the Z1 fluid. Also, since it's out of warrenty, I like that Valvoline is standing behind it as I know Honda isn't.

Read up. Honda has issued an extended warranty on their 4 speed AT's from 97 to 01. They do indeed stand by their products. If your AT is still below 100K, you are still within warranty and could jeopardize the warranty if it fails and you are not using Z1.

The extended warranty on the 4-spd ATs only covered the TL, Odyssey, and Accord. I do not recall the CRV being covered.

glxpassat had his transmission replaced back at 85,000 miles, and currently has > 120,000 miles on his van. He is way past the warranty.

However, keep in mind that Honda tends to goodwill many transmission replacements even after the 100,000 mile warranty, especially the 5-spd ATs, due to the high # of failures.

For those who own a 5-spd AT that is covered under the extended warranty (i.e. CL and TL, maybe MDX), it is wise to pay your Acura dealer $50-$60 every 30,000 miles to drain/fill the transmission, simply to prove that you're attempting to take better care of the transmission than most owners, in hopes of increasing your chances of SOME good will in the event of a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back