Valvoline Meets/Exceeds M1 & Amsoil Specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this on Valvoline's website:

Quote:

How does SynPower compare to Mobil1 and Amsoil?

Valvoline's SynPower motor oils meet and exceed the same specifications as these two products.

SynPower motor oils are high performing, high-quality oils formulated with full synthetic base oils and top tier additives to provide an increased level of performance. All of Valvoline's SynPower motor oils are API licensed to ensure quality for North American vehicle application. We have specially designed SynPower 5w40 for application in high performance European or diesel passenger cars and this oil carries the specific OEM approvals such as Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche and BMW. Our North American SynPower 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 exceed ILSAC GF-4 requirements and carry the API starburst on the front label. SynPower is designed with extra levels of detergent and antioxidant to provide outstanding deposit and heat protection.

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/37

Sorry if this was posted before... I hadn't seen it on BITOG. I was shocked to see Amsoil listed on Valvoline's website!
shocked2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
We have specially designed SynPower 5w40 for application in high performance European or diesel passenger cars and this oil carries the specific OEM approvals such as Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche and BMW.

It does me no good if I can't find it anywhere. Just like PP 5w-40.

Pablo, Gary... Is Amsoil going to come out with a commercial claiming "X" better wear protection than Ashlands products?

That doesn't say Synpower meets/exceeds M1 & Amsoil. That statement says that Synpower meets and exceeds the same specifications that M1 and Amsoil meet.

But if you are trying to start a flame fest, you can interpret it however you want.

Valvoline makes some very good oils now. I'd say Synpower is certainly on par with Mobil 1 and maybe better in some areas.

Originally Posted By: buster
Valvoline makes some very good oils now. I'd say Synpower is certainly on par with Mobil 1 and maybe better in some areas.

Never used their oils but their Marketing is deceptive at the very best.

Originally Posted By: buster

Is there anything on the data sheets that show this, or from VOAs?

NOACK, HT/HS, TBN, additive levels, visco, VI?

Ya never was a fan of their marketing or mediocre oils but I think their oils now are better than ever.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
That doesn't say Synpower meets/exceeds M1 & Amsoil. That statement says that Synpower meets and exceeds the same specifications that M1 and Amsoil meet.

But if you are trying to start a flame fest, you can interpret it however you want.

As posted above:
Quote:

Valvoline's SynPower motor oils meet and exceed the same specifications as these two products.

The difference is????

I shouldn't comment on SynPower - I haven't been a follower or watcher of that product - BUT - the last couple of UOAs floating around on SynPower - well - the OCIs are reasonably short, and the TBNs barely have a pulse. I wouldn't touch the stuff in my app w/ my present perspective.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Quote:

The difference is????

The difference is that Mobil and Amsoil also claim to meet and exceed those same specifications, so you cannot assume from it that Valvoline exceeds them by more than Amsoil or Mobil.

Its just amazing...

IF MOBIL said "meets/exceeds" then its the best oil.

IF AMSOIL said the same then its the best oil.

But if Valvoline says the SAME PHRASE then its suspect....

OMG!
crazy2.gif
(The koolaid is strong)
20.gif

You guys crack me up.
02.gif

Bill

I'm usin' Amsoil because of the cold flow properties are unmatched to anything else I can find and that makes for a quiet start-up in the dead of winter... I also use it because my engine seems to be quieter and smoother.

Trust me if I could get away with a GRP-III synthetic or regular oil I would. I'm not about spending extra $$$ for the same results.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Its just amazing...

IF MOBIL said "meets/exceeds" then its the best oil.

IF AMSOIL said the same then its the best oil.

But if Valvoline says the SAME PHRASE then its suspect....

OMG!
crazy2.gif
(The koolaid is strong)
20.gif

You guys crack me up.
02.gif

Bill

But not as strong as the M1 Haterade!
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.