Valvoline Maxlife vs. Toyota Type IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superior in what way? Longevity? Shift Feel? Certainly not warranty compliance.

IMO they both perform pretty well in older Aisin trannys but the Maxlife is superior because it's easy to find and costs less. I certainly wouldn't extend the change interval way out or expect a noticeable improvement.

Whether it last longer or not, the transmission is "calibrated" for the property of T IV and you know the friction and viscosity is exact. Maxlife isn't, but it may be close enough that you don't care or notice.

I think the Maxlife is superior (Castrol IMV also) because they work well and are at least part synthetic (which we don't know about T-IV).

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think the Maxlife is superior (Castrol IMV also) because they work well and are at least part synthetic (which we don't know about T-IV).
Yessir. Many have had great results switching from T-IV to MaxLife, myself included. Synthetic trans fluids seem to be beneficial for some reason.

It is for my wife's 2006 Toyota Sienna LE 3.3L V6 which has 65,750 miles on it! I do not care about how it shifts, how it feels, all I care about is will the transmission last to 200,000 miles? Keep in mind she travels 10 miles round trip a day. Average speed is probably 30 mph. I do not care about cost as I am willing to put the very best in it since my wife treats it really good and she loves it!

wal-mart supertech Mercon V and Dex VI both say that they're suitable for T-IV transmission use. Dex VI even says that it's a WS replacement.

The words "suitable or May be used" implies it doesn't meet the T-IV spec but, is probably OK. Stick with T-IV or Approved for meets T-IV spec. The only AT I know of that Meets is Castrol Import ATF. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The words "suitable or May be used" implies it doesn't meet the T-IV spec but, is probably OK.

It actually implies that it DOES meet/exceed the spec but has not been officially tested.

For instance, if the spec requires that phosphor content needs to be below 1600ppm and you KNOW that your fluid has 1500ppm, then it will meet/exceed the spec even though you have not had it verified according to the spec.

And yes, I I'm very sure that Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc is a superior fluid to Toyota T-IV unless someone can provide evidence to change my mind. The evidence I've seen so far suggests it is superior and not an equal replacement.

Last edited:
Then why does ANYBODY, including the manufacturer, bother specifying, using, and stocking T-IV for Toyota application?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Then why does ANYBODY, including the manufacturer, bother specifying, using, and stocking T-IV for Toyota application?

Possibly for PROFITS.....

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Kestas

Possibly for PROFITS.....
DIng DIng Ding! We have a winner!!!

Gonna stick with Toyota Type IV ATF since I got a case of it for $63 including tax. The Valvoline Maxlife ATF isn't carried in either of my 5 local Walmarts! Thanks for all the replies I appreciate the insight. Maybe I will switch to Maxlife on my 2010 Toyota Corolla that takes Toyota WS Fluid

Originally Posted By: firefighter0629
Gonna stick with Toyota Type IV ATF since I got a case of it for $63 including tax.
My 'yota dealer sells T-IV for $4.17/qt. Maxlife is $15.99 gallon at Autozone. That is less than $4 a qt before tax.

Did you ask for that price? Or is that just what they gave you? I had to ask for $5 a quart! I believe my dealership wanted $6 something per quart! What dealership in Michigan?

Originally Posted By: firefighter0629
Did you ask for that price? Or is that just what they gave you? I had to ask for $5 a quart! I believe my dealership wanted $6 something per quart! What dealership in Michigan?

I too am asking which dealer? I can only get it for $5 per quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back