Valvoline Maxlife Syn ATF 38.5k 2012 Lacrosse 6T70

The very dark brown fluid was concerning to me. Veryyyy stinky too
161C6588-A17A-4118-BDDD-59BA9A7E012E.jpeg

Valvoline Max Life ATF is stinky fresh from the jug. Its a fine fluid in my opinion.
Got many thousands of miles on a few of my vehicles with it in the transmission.

At least two more drains and refills seem to be in order unless this a complete drain and refill. Wear and clutch materials have accumulated in the OEM fluid and on internal surfaces.

The manganese is from clutch plates as they contain an alloy of manganese, but all wear material values should decrease with fresh fluid changes.

At least two more drains and refills seem to be in order unless this a complete drain and refill. Wear and clutch materials have accumulated in the OEM fluid and on internal surfaces.

The manganese is from clutch plates as they contain an alloy of manganese, but all wear material values should decrease with fresh fluid changes.
Hi @MolaKule. So when I do a change, I do 3 drain and fills, and sample the first batch that comes out. So I changed the OEM after 94k 3x. 38,520 miles from the first drain I drained this one 3x, again sampling the first drain. Currently have amsoil ss in there. So, yes, I did 2 more drains and fills since this sample was taken

Edit: clarification and spelling

Hi @MolaKule. So when I do a change, I do 3 drain and fills, and sample the first batch that comes out. So I changed the OEM after 94k 3x. 38,520 miles from the first drain I drained this one 3x, again sampling the first drain. Currently have amsoil ss in there. So, yes, I did 2 more drains and fills since this sample was taken

Edit: clarification and spelling
In 1/3 of the mileage, Maxlife had more viscosity loss and possibly, a higher TAN value.

In 1/3 of the mileage, Maxlife had more viscosity loss and possibly, a higher TAN value.
I guess you would need a voa of the factory fill to be able to say for sure that the maxlife
Lost more viscosity than it did. I’m guessing it was acdelco dex6? A PDS for that would be a little more revealing but still it can’t be 100% identical batch to batch.
Then there’s the fact that he did 3x drain and fills and not a complete flush when putting in the maxlife.

Back