Valvoline Maxlife Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was wondering does anyone have any comments on the Valvoline Maxlife engine oil.

Are than any long term risks involved in using a seal conditioner even if your engine isn't leaking?

One story I heard is that the creators of it were not happy with the direction the marketing team wanted to take with it being only suited to older engines, when they felt that it was a quality product that should and could be used from day one, and would have massive gains over conventional oil.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this oil and using it in a new engine that warrants it’s Viscositys.

I just started using High Mileage oil, not MaxLife, in my Taurus with 93k. I'm beginning to have second thoughts! Why in the world do I need it if the engine is fine; not using oil and not leaking? I also wonder if the additives could have long term down sides.

I'm thinking about going back to conventional oil and maybe running High Mileage oil about one change a year. Any thoughts on this?

I think some of the HM thing is just marketing. Most HM oils are more to the thick side of the range than their conventionals. Plus they may have a wee bit better additive pkg. That's all.

They can be used in any engine, regardless of age.

If nothing else, the high mileage rating gives them the opportunity provide oil not doctored up for the starburst and energy conserving ratings.

cool.gif
I wasn't crazy about using something with a seal sweller ALL the time. Logic tells me it might not leak for now but would increase wear on the seals since it is swelled. On my decrepit old van I use Valvo Max Life 10w-30 every other change but not all the time. It doesn't smoke on start-up with Max Life, I'll say that.

Search and look at Bob's test on the seal swelling. Apparently, it really doesn't happen. Some syn's do "clean" seals, though.

So what is the "final word"? Will long term use of Maxlife be detrimental to seal life? Let's assume we are using this oil in a brand new engine.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
So what is the "final word"? Will long term use of Maxlife be detrimental to seal life? Let's assume we are using this oil in a brand new engine.

I highly doubt it. I believe it is a seal conditioner, not sweller. In a new engine, the conditioner should serve to prevent seals from getting hard and brittle.

quote:

Originally posted by Mal:
I just started using High Mileage oil, not MaxLife, in my Taurus with 93k. I'm beginning to have second thoughts! Why in the world do I need it if the engine is fine; not using oil and not leaking? Any thoughts on this?

You are absolutely correct, there is no need to alter anything if the engine is operating fine. I have used (as have many) the same brand oil and weight for 162,000 miles on one engine. Unless you start to develop seepages, leaks, oil consumption there is no need to use a different weight or product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back