Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol High Milage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,I'm a big Maxlife fan but WM had Catrol's HM in the green bottle on sale. I broke down and bought 10, 5 quart jugs of the stuff.
Problem is, I'm having buyer's remorse since I know nothing about how well it stacks up against Maxlife.

Did I make the wrong decision? I still have the receipt!

Maxlife has a MUCH better add pack than Castrol HM. GTX HM is very little improved over the standard stuff. I'd return it and get the maxlife.

Originally Posted By: damanwitdaplan
Did I make the wrong decision? I still have the receipt!

I suppose it depends on the application. Others have chimed in on the additive pack.

I had good luck with MaxLife. I had an old Ford 300 that would knock like crazy. HDEO was used in the summer to quiet things, and MaxLife 5w-30 in the winter was almost as quiet. I tried the Castrol HM, but it was noticeably noisier.

Better oil? Maybe, maybe not. All I was worried about was quieting it down. Knocks embarrass me at red lights.

wink.gif

I've run Valvoline Maxlife in my beater Windstars for years, love the stuff.

But if I got a good deal on some Castrol HM I'd use it, no problems. They are both excellent oils IMO.

Castrol HM 10W-40 has the highest viscosity @ 100c. It's 16.1. That is really thick for a 40 weight.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Castrol

Maxlife

What kind of comparison is this? The Castrol is a used (UOA) 5W-30 and the Maxlife is a new (VOA) 5W-20.

From these two examples, I would choose the Castrol.

The add pack remains essentially the same from a VOA to UOA, which is what I'm looking at.
Same for vis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Great comparison. Really informative!!!!
54.gif

In this instance I'm looking at ONLY THE ADDITIVE PACK. There is generally NO DIFFERENCE in the composition of adds from 5W-20 to 5W-30, and from VOA to UOA (with the odd exception of Boron)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back