Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30, 3000 on oil, Ford F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30, 3000 on oil, 67000 on engine,Ford F150
4.2 v6. Driven hard.

I just got this F150. I believe the sodium is from Maxlife. I also believe the lead is from driving hard and the engine getting "cleaned" out from lack of past on time oil changes.

Any sugestions or idea? I changed to Pennzoil and was thinking of resampling after 1000k for a trend.
Thanks

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 5
COPPER 2
LEAD 6
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 186
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 22
SILICON 13
SODIUM 37
CALCIUM 2370
MAGNESIUM 10
PHOSPHORUS 732
ZINC 912
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.7
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.12
Flashpoint in °F 415
Fuel % Antifreeze % ?
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2

Those numbers aren't bad at all. No need to sample the PZ at 1k; just run it 4-5k and then see how it is doing.....

I don't think I would sample an oil that had under 4-5k miles on it. Under those miles I don't think the UOA tells you anything useful.

If there is a coolent problem does POTASSIUM always go up with sodium? Is that one way to tell if sodium is coolent or an additive?

THanks

Last edited:
It really depends on the coolant. There used to be a break down in this section that identified the coolants that were high in potassium or high in sodium.

I thought dex-cool was very high in potassium for example. Post the brand of coolant you are using in the coolant section and ask what it's high in. You'll likely get a response.

Just an FYI - Valvoline has recently, as in the past year, been using sodium more and more in their additive packages, and it's listed as 490 ppm. Given that, I'd conclude that the sodium in this UOA is not from Maxlife, and is either from coolant in the oil or from a different oil that was previously used. Hard to tell given this UOA looks so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back