Valvoline Max Life Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
I have a question for everyone? I picked up thirty quarts of valvoline max life synthetic in the 10W-30 flavor, free after rebate. I bought it because it was far and was diesel "CF" rated. I was looking at the back of one of the bottles, and noticed it said it was recommended for vw 505.00. I was thinking about running it in my 84 VW Rabit Diesel L. I was wondering what you guys thought about running it? And what would you say would be a safe oci interval? thanks in advance.

KC

JR, FWIW, I'm currently running it in my '00 GTI 1.8T without complaint from the engine or from me.

I say go for it, if VW 505.00 is a suitable rating for your '84 VW diesel.

I would like to say that I notice a change of the label a few weeks ago. It now says full synthetic and states that it meets all the same rating plus now vw 505.01. I would like to really know does it really meet this rating or not? And if it does is it an actual vw approved oil?

Hi JR,
I've also got an '84 Rabbit Diesel L. My owners's manual advises that if I'm running a 30 weight oil, to be sure to not run the engine for extended durations. It doesn't really give an explanation of why, but I infer that to mean that the 30 weight is essentially thinner than VW likes for these engines. As such, I've always stuck to 40 weight oils. I don't have the owner's manual in front of me at this moment, but if you don't have the manual and are interested in knowing exactly what it says, I can pull it out and tell you what it says verbatim. If you do have the manual, just look up the section on oil specs. I'm not saying this oil won't work for you, just that I personally would stick to a 40 weight multigrade.

Oops! Boy was I wrong. Scratch everything I just wrote. JR, I just went out and checked the manual. (This is what happens when I try to answer questions from things I recall from memory). Here is what it says:

quote:

When using SAE 10W or SAE 5W-20 engine oil, avoid high speed long distance driving if outside temperature rises above the indicated limits.

Wow, no mention of 10W-30 at all. Open mouth, insert foot. The manual says that the oil needs to be at least CC or CD rated. So a CF oil should be fine if you are comfortable with the 30 weight.

Bryan, don't be too hard on yourself....we ALL do it from time to time
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back