Valvoline Max Life Semi Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 Vue with 2.2L. Last oil change at 5k and 9 months oil came out thick so I decided to 3k and check. Oil was black and with temps over 90 and 4 months I decided to change. Oil came out with clumps. Keep in mind I am regular with either Synthetic or Semi. Filter was nasty also. I decided to go back to Pennzoil only this time Dexos1. I even went to from the Purolator Classic to Fram Premium to see if dry noise on start up disappears. It only done this with Purolator Classic. I noticed when Goodyear changed oil they used Valvoline with Carquest oil filter and no noise on start up as I do most my own oil changes but got down with back so Goodyear did changes. 6 months oil changes and that is usually 3-4k oil changes. We will see if it like Dexos Pennzoil.
Lots of short trips with a trip to doctors about 45 miles each way once a month. Have one in New Orleans tomorrow and so I checked it. Not that far but supposed to be 95 and with traffic just played it safe.

Last edited:
Goodyear only did 2 oil changes over last year. That would have been 6k and one year so that shouldn't of clogged that quick. I just don't understand. When I got car back I checked oil and looked good. The only thing I can think of is they put conventional oil instead of Max Semi anyhow they charged me for semi. Short Trips just kills oil in this motor. Had it for 4.5 years and this is first time I notice this.

Suggest you consider having someone else service your vehicle with shortened LOF changes for a while in order to not lose your engine.

I will be doing them from now on. Funny thing is filter was nasty but no sludge. It has a canister type filter so easy to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
When I was doing some research before buying an '06 Dodge Stratus, I found that some of the earlier 2.7 V-6 Mopar engines had sludging problems before the recommended OCI. The symptoms sounded the same (black oil & clumps) as what you are experiencing. Factory made changes on the crankcase breather system and cured that problem. You might check to see if any TSB's were ever issued about this on your Vue. Also never have experienced any "dry start ups" using Wix filters. Just a thought......

Mark

Last edited:
That sounds really abnormal. Are you losing coolant? Does this engine have a serviceable PCV valve that may need replacing?

I've never heard of a GM Ecotec engine "abusing" its oil like this. I think I'd join others in recommending short oil changes for the next while. Do you ever get a clue of the clumping on the dipstick? Does the oil get black quickly on the dipstick?

I might be tempted to change the oil every 1,000 miles for a few changes in a row to help clean out what's in there. Or at least change it as soon as you see a moderate change in color. That will likely happen quickly for the next few changes if it's been that bad prior.

I must agree - this is not a good sign, and it if were my car I'd be worried.

I must concur with others - run a short OCI, or two, to see if you can clear out the crud.

I will also add that if it were my car, I'd run these short OCIs with some MMO added to help the cleaning.

No more dry starts since change. I think I had a bad filter and all impurities stay suspended in oil. Vehicle would dry start hot or cold and since change I went to New Orleans and cold nor hot had a dry start so I went out just now no noises. The reason it kills oil is I live less than 5 miles from stores so it gets started then only ran short time shut off for short time then parked for day or two. I may go to parents which is 15 miles with only 5 of that is 55 mph. Once every 3 months or so I take 45 mile trip one way. I did go 2 trips to Baton Rouge which was a good trip of hwy driving on this oil change. That is the reason I run 3k 6 months with a blend. Did run synthetic for 2 oil changes when I first bought it to help clean it out. I have put 23000 miles on it in 4.5 years and 112k total on odometer.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've never heard of a GM Ecotec engine "abusing" its oil like this.....

Yeah, they're solid engines and aren't hard on oil at all. I'd keep an eye on the coolant...

Originally Posted By: tiger862
No more dry starts since change. I think I had a bad filter and all impurities stay suspended in oil. Vehicle would dry start hot or cold and since change I went to New Orleans and cold nor hot had a dry start so I went out just now no noises. The reason it kills oil is I live less than 5 miles from stores so it gets started then only ran short time shut off for short time then parked for day or two. I may go to parents which is 15 miles with only 5 of that is 55 mph. Once every 3 months or so I take 45 mile trip one way. I did go 2 trips to Baton Rouge which was a good trip of hwy driving on this oil change. That is the reason I run 3k 6 months with a blend. Did run synthetic for 2 oil changes when I first bought it to help clean it out. I have put 23000 miles on it in 4.5 years and 112k total on odometer.

I had a thought that maybe since you bought it used with 89k, that your oil changing regimen is starting to clean up the previous owner's neglect. I'd keep changing it at 3 or 4k until it's in better shape inside. And changing from the dry starting filter to another that doesn't dry start is a fine idea.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tiger862
Oil was black and with temps over 90 and 4 months I decided to change. Oil came out with clumps.

I don't like Valvoline Maxlife, but I could be just biased. I used it in my wife's Maxima twice for 5k OCI. Everything was good. Next time I put SHell Rotella 5W40 into a car. Oil got black after 1k miles and was immediately changed by Mobil1 0W40.
So I did not understand if Rotella just cleaned Maxlife's deposits or it was spoiled itself? I did not pour neither Maxlife, nor Rotella anymore, used mostly M1. Car was sold 3 years later without any oil-related issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back