Valvoline Lost $10 million in 3rd Qtr

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on Ashland's web site that Valvoline lost $10 million in their 3rd qtr versus $19 million in operating income in the same qtr 2005. Will the Valvoline brand have to be gobbled up by one of the major oil companies to be able to remain competitive? What are your thoughts?

They'll need to raise their prices or get cheaper oil. Trying to hold your costs down (and your product price), while your raw material cost doubles, has got to hurt.

I am suprised that they didn't see it coming for them. It's a increasingly competitive market, and Valvoline just hasn't really pushed their products hard enough. While Pennzoil, Castrol, and other brands pushing their products every way they can, Valvoline remained static. Not to mention, Valvoline is all that well known outside of north america, so they do not have those markets to back them up.

It's likely that Valvoline would change hands soon. Don't know about one of it's competitors gobbling it up.

I don't think that the problem is lack of sales. As Pablo stated Valvoline is trying to remain competitive in price with other brands that are owned by companies that produce the raw materials used to manufacture motor oil. Essentially, they are being choked out IMHO.

I saw a banner for Budweiser beer that stated
"only American owned major brewery-keep your dollars in America" or something very close to that. It made me think that Pennzoil and QS are now foreign owned and Castrol was always foreign owned so Valvoline is the only American owned oil Co. ( I am not talking about giants like E-M but rather motor oil only Co's)

I hope Valvoline isn't gobbled up by a big (especially foreign) conglomerate.

quote:

Originally posted by mossad:
So it's bye bey to Valvoline?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
crushedcar.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! as is no, don't let this happen!!! Or no, as in no, it's not going to happen.

quote:

I saw a banner for Budweiser beer that stated
"only American owned major brewery-keep your dollars in America" or something very close to that. It made me think that Pennzoil and QS are now foreign owned and Castrol was always foreign owned so Valvoline is the only American owned oil Co. ( I am not talking about giants like E-M but rather motor oil only Co's)

Eh, I'll take Redline and Yuengling over Valvoline and Budweiser
wink.gif

on topic: Considering that most major companies nowadays are multi-national, how much of a difference would it really make if Valvoline were bought by a foreign-owned company?

Yep, never know when something is going to change or be discontinued. Stock up while you can. Hey, maybe there will be clearances at Auto Zone.

10 mill is nuttin, but it makes for a strange business model. All the companies are rackin' up SERIOUS jack these days, but no Vulvalene.

So what gives with THEM?
dunno.gif

This might explain the large price increase with Valvoline at the place where where I get my oil. I noticed the other day Castrol and Valvoline dino were the same $2.79 a qt. Pennzoil dino was like $2.69 Havoline dino was $1.99 and Chevron dino was $1.79.

Chevron and Havoline seem to be holding down their dino oil prices here locally. Used to be at the same store Valvoline was much cheaper for many years than Castrol and Pennzoil. The Valvoline oil in general does not seem like it is moving very well at my local oil store lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back