Valvoline instead of M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question, why is oil in the 1 qt bottles so much more expensive than the same oil in a 5 qt jug? I could see it being a few more cents per qt because of the extra bottles and such, but it's like $2-$3 per qt more. That doesn't make any sense to me...

Another question, why is oil in the 1 qt bottles so much more expensive than the same oil in a 5 qt jug? I could see it being a few more cents per qt because of the extra bottles and such, but it's like $2-$3 per qt more. That doesn't make any sense to me...
In bulk sales they can trim the prices down because it is one easier to put more product into one package and two they are guaranteed to sell a certain amount in the package and make a larger amount of money off of it. Since 5 quart jugs sell more in number and in volume of oil they don’t have to price them as high per quart because there’s more demand and they aren’t worried about selling them. Whereas individual quarts they have to price higher to make sure they cover all extra costs of packaging while still making profit 1 quart at a time instead of 5.

Today I went to Walmart to pick up some M1 (full syn) for my wife's CX-9 as its due for an oil change. ....Are any you aware of any issues with the Valvoline full synthetic?
Best Oil I've run in the past decade - the Valvoline Advanced flavour - which may be replaced since GF-6 was formally rolled out.

I Never had much luck with Mobil 1 since "day one" in the early 1980's. That oil only worked good in one engine** ages ago, and that was when it was a true Synthetic oil - which it is NOT now unless you step up to 0W20 EP or AP.

I have a UOA on here in a NA engine where I went 50% over the required OCI and the result was LOWER wear than those changing at 6K miles plus plenty of TBN. But that car gets highway driven 5 days-a-week in a one-hour commute.

I feel if most think M1 is a "10K Oil", then so is Valvoline Advanced, as the Valvoline is better in my book than M1.
And know that I was never on the Valvoline bandwagon in the 30 Grade flavours until they did the reformulation with the Advanced a couple / three years ago; They did a stunning re-formulation.

Use with confidence !
- Ken

** That was 1.5L in a Base Mirage with a 5 Speed.

It doesn’t to me either so that why I don’t buy single quarts these days.

In bulk sales they can trim the prices down because it is one easier to put more product into one package and two they are guaranteed to sell a certain amount in the package and make a larger amount of money off of it. Since 5 quart jugs sell more in number and in volume of oil they don’t have to price them as high per quart because there’s more demand and they aren’t worried about selling them. Whereas individual quarts they have to price higher to make sure they cover all extra costs of packaging while still making profit 1 quart at a time instead of 5.
But $3 a qt more? That seems way too excessive...

That probably tells you something about the profit margins, grampi. Everybody adds their percentage, and likely the market is bigger for the 1 quart jugs.. You know, why buy a gallon jug if all you need is a quart to top off.... and then buy another quart next time round...

Best Oil I've run in the past decade - the Valvoline Advanced flavour - which may be replaced since GF-6 was formally rolled out.

I Never had much luck with Mobil 1 since "day one" in the early 1980's. That oil only worked good in one engine** ages ago, and that was when it was a true Synthetic oil - which it is NOT now unless you step up to 0W20 EP or AP.

I have a UOA on here in a NA engine where I went 50% over the required OCI and the result was LOWER wear than those changing at 6K miles plus plenty of TBN. But that car gets highway driven 5 days-a-week in a one-hour commute.

I feel if most think M1 is a "10K Oil", then so is Valvoline Advanced, as the Valvoline is better in my book than M1.
And know that I was never on the Valvoline bandwagon in the 30 Grade flavours until they did the reformulation with the Advanced a couple / three years ago; They did a stunning re-formulation.

Use with confidence !
- Ken

** That was 1.5L in a Base Mirage with a 5 Speed.
Oh wow man … far out … that’s groovy man …

One thing I like about Valvoline is they don't push extended OCI's, they tell you to follow the recomandation of the manufacture, whether they are doing that to cover their behinds or not it's sound advice.
Valvoline makes finished products, a formulator … Rare to see a formulator produce a long range oil unless it sells for a premium price like Amsoil …

Luxury good. You want the convenience of 1qt bottles you’re going to pay for it. Personally I’d rather buy two 5qt bottles and a measuring cup.

That probably tells you something about the profit margins, grampi. Everybody adds their percentage, and likely the market is bigger for the 1 quart jugs.. You know, why buy a gallon jug if all you need is a quart to top off.... and then buy another quart next time round...
I keep some empty quart bottles and refill them with whatever.

Only oil I buy in 1 quart increments is Redline since its actually cheaper that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back