Valvoline instead of M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went to Walmart to pick up some M1 (full syn) for my wife's CX-9 as its due for an oil change. They had no 5 qt bottles of 5W-30 on the shelf, and they wanted almost $9 a qt for the M1 in 1 qt bottles, so I picked up a 5 qt bottle of Valvoline (also full syn) for $21, and a 1 qt bottle for something like $5 or $6. So for less than $30 I got what I usually pay about $35 for when I get the M1. If I like the Valvoline maybe I'll start using it on a regular basis. I only go 5K on my OCIs (because its a turbo), so the Valvoline should be good for that long. Are any you aware of any issues with the Valvoline full synthetic?

They have cool looking bottles which accounts for 90% of my purchasing decisions regarding oil. E.g if it meets grade and is a full synthetic I’m happy. I’ve used it in the past for a 7000 mile oci on an engine known for consumption and it worked just as well as my RGT.

Everyone will say no known difference between the two. If you're being really, really picky, the Valvoline tends to be a bit thinner than the M1 for a given grade.

Everyone will say no known difference between the two. If you're being really, really picky, the Valvoline tends to be a bit thinner than the M1 for a given grade.
I'd be more concerned about that if I were using a 5W-20 or a 0W-20...

If you have a NAPA store near you consider this sale which ends this week. NAPA syn. oil made by Valvoline. 1 qt. bottle - $3.19. 5 qt. jug - $15.49. You can get a 5 qt. jug plus a NAPA Platinum oil filter (made by Wix) for $22.98. $22.98 + $3.19 = $26.17 (6 qts. of oil and a filter) plus tax.

Last edited:
Valvoline is fine it’s been around the longest and I’ve had no issues with it so I don’t think you will either. At least you only do 5000 mile oil changes I’d never go over that. Napa oil is made by Valvoline too so that’s something to look at too.

If you have a NAPA store near you consider this sale which ends this week. NAPA syn. oil made by Valvoline. 1 qt. bottle - $3.19. 5 qt. jug - $15.49. You can get a 5 qt. jug plus a NAPA Platinum oil filter (made by Wix) for $22.98. $22.98 + $3.19 = $26.17 (6qts. of oil and a filter) plus tax.
That deal is over around here. Back up to normal retail.

Maybe it’s a regional (Southern) thing but all my contemporaries in the automotive industry prefer Valvoline. These are seasoned technicians and municipal Fleet Professionals with diverse vehicles from Police, Fire, and Medic, to heavy public works equipment. Neglect, abuse, and severe duty is the norm. Long summers with mid to high ninety degree temps to boot. Tried and true oil. I’m surprised at the thoughts here on BITOG that Valvoline is a weak sub-tier oil.

All these name brand synth oils have been tested by API and thousands of Blackstone lab reports come back good. Just do a good OCI with a good filter. Valvoline is fine for 5k miles.

Valvoline ... yummm. Two of my vehicles like it. :D

Valvoline Yummm-2.jpg

If you have a NAPA store near you consider this sale which ends this week. NAPA syn. oil made by Valvoline. 1 qt. bottle - $3.19. 5 qt. jug - $15.49. You can get a 5 qt. jug plus a NAPA Platinum oil filter (made by Wix) for $22.98. $22.98 + $3.19 = $26.17 (6 qts. of oil and a filter) plus tax.
Lol! I don't need it now, I already bought the Valvoline...

One thing I like about Valvoline is they don't push extended OCI's, they tell you to follow the recomandation of the manufacture, whether they are doing that to cover their behinds or not it's sound advice.
No it’s sound advice. A law enforcement vehicle that runs 12 hour shifts and is never turned off should be serviced as per the manufacturer’s advice or there will be catastrophic and expensive consequences. The use of Valvoline ensured that our fleet was covered for all the abuse that came with being on the job.

Good oil. All the Valvoline I’ve seen at Walmart has been SP as well. I like their jugs too. Harder to sneak a used one back on the shelf.

I would have no worries running that oil.
The thing I like about Valvoline is they are 100% at paying on their rebates with me. Something I wish I could say for all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back