Valvoline Instant Oil Change - 5w20MXB Oil

There's a sticker on my Grand Marquis that's due in 1000 miles. Says 5w-20MXB. Anyone know what oil this would be? Maybe we need insider knowledge? I looked it up in google but couldn't find it referencing it.

Definitely doesn't look like it needs a change for as far as it is into the change (guessing 2000 miles?).

Don't want to change it this early on, but it's in the garage now so I probably will. Of course, like everything else, it'll get Supertech. Of the proper weight, 5w-20 .

There's a sticker on my Grand Marquis that's due in 1000 miles. Says 5w-20MXB. Anyone know what oil this would be? Maybe we need insider knowledge? I looked it up in google but couldn't find it referencing it.

Definitely doesn't look like it needs a change for as far as it is into the change (guessing 2000 miles?).

Don't want to change it this early on, but it's in the garage now so I probably will. Of course, like everything else, it'll get Supertech. Of the proper weight, 5w-20 .
Of note: 5w-30 was original specification for this engine. I always used it when I owned my panther.

Yes I can confirm that is right. Their synthetic blend oil change service is maxlife 5w20. I have had that same code on my sticker.

That's a high mileage oil right? I don't think it makes any difference in what I'm going to run. Just curious.

Of note: 5w-30 was original specification for this engine. I always used it when I owned my panther.

That's true, 92-00 they were spec'd for 5w-30. But this one seems to have done well for 124K miles on 5w-20. It's certainly a lot quieter than my almost 240K mile 5.4 (which may or may not be a 1997 engine).

That's true, 92-00 they were spec'd for 5w-30. But this one seems to have done well for 124K miles on 5w-20. It's certainly a lot quieter than my almost 240K mile 5.4 (which may or may not be a 1997 engine).
No oiling changes after '00; change to 20 was purely CAFE. Ford did switch later year trucks back from 20 to 30...

5w20 Maxlife bulk many years ago, when 5w20 first came out the stickers used to print D for drum. But now since 5W20 is widely used they carry it in bulk I'm sure.

That's a high mileage oil right? I don't think it makes any difference in what I'm going to run. Just curious.

Valvoline markets Maxlife as their syn-blend option in the quick lube service bays.

I found it odd marketing as well.

Their "Conventional" oil is not really conventional, so they are just trying to offer another upsell to a different product.

Valvoline markets Maxlife as their syn-blend option in the quick lube service bays.

I found it odd marketing as well.

Their "Conventional" oil is not really conventional, so they are just trying to offer another upsell to a different product.
My Sorento 3.5 V6 got max life starting at about 30k miles when I went to a shop for an oil change and asked for a synthetic blend.

As a matter of fact, at the Firestone I used for oil changes for a while, getting Pennzoil HM was cheaper (by like $7) to get a synth blend vs getting the actual Pennzoil synth blend. As I generally did 5-7.5K mile intervals it was never a problem and the Kia 3.5L engine seemed to run very smoothly on the synthetic blends.

Going to hold out as long as possible so I don't get stuck in an oil change in the middle of winter.
No worries.....you come from Central NY ...... I couldn't imagine how cold and miserable it would be doing an oil change outside in a real winter. Where I come from, you avoid doing anything physical and outside in summer.

This is our winter, about 22C (72F)
E0D5EC39-DA02-487C-8DC2-5D2F6C043AAD.jpeg

Back