Valvoline FS Dexron VI versus Valvoline FS Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Chevy Trailblazer, 56K. I plan to drop the transmission pan, change out the filter and install a drain plug. Planning to do just a fluid drain and fill, not a flush. Since I will only get out and replace about 5 quarts of the 12 or so, I will drain and refill in about 10,000 more miles.

I want to use a full synthetic and want to use Valvoline. Not really interested in the added cost of Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple.

Valvoline has both FS Dexron VI and FS Maxlife Dex/Merc. I emailed Valvoline but have not heard back yet. Between the two, which is a better choice for me?

Valvoline Dexron VI
1) Full Synthetic and specifically tailored to Dexron VI
2) 5 quarts will cost me around $43.
3) assuming it is licensed Dexron VI

Valvoline Maxlife
1) Full Synthetic multivehicle
2) 5 quarts will cost me around $24
3) doesn't look like it is licensed but the bottle says "recommended for Dexron VI" along with a laundry list of many others
4) may have additives beneficial to my trans that the other does not?
5) Additional note: The Valvoline website shows and describes the product as good for transmissions with over 75K. The Walmart bottle does not have the 75K language on it but appears to be the same product as what is shown on the Valvoline website.
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-75ae/k2-_31d81651-76fe-4dde-8bf5-958d18e5ad9e.v1.jpg (walmart Maxlife)
http://www.valvoline.com/admin/p37.png (Valvoline Maxlife)

Last edited:
I too own a 2008 GM vehicle. My thought process when I changed my fluid was this:

Car calls for Dex VI. So use Valvoline Dex VI (which is full syn) or Maxlife (I don't remember if this was synthetic) spec'd for everything under the sun? Uh, Dex VI!

My SS is happy with it...

BTW -
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I believe either fluid will be fine, when I owned a Rainier, I went Red Line D4 but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have spent the money.

It's extremely easy to pump old fluid out of the TC on this vehicle. There are several write ups out there. Disconnect the cooler line on the passenger side and the truck will pump out the old fluid for you. Do it in several phases and you won't run it dry. Not a "flush" but a complete fluid replacement.

If Dexron VI is the correct spec for your vehicle, use Valvoline's spec product. Since you don't have a high mileage transmission there's no benefit to using MaxLife.

Both are good products and are full syn ATF's... I have used Maxlife in many applications and it has worked very well. For the cost difference, I would use Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back