Valvoline Euro 5W-40

Just bought two jugs of 5-40 for S & Gs. $23/5qts. Any opinions on this?
b6b34b48-4818-44d8-920d-efebbe27ef16.22850ccee2640214e665e9bd55cf210b.jpg

7576b49a-1971-4bed-a4e1-f9b50872bdaa.402cd0f44831c53c11ba5f88ee79a71e.jpg

If you can get it cheaper than Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart, go for it. Lots of approvals and certs for a full SAPS oil. I just bought some of their XL-III with 504 00 approval, it's less expensive than even the Castrol 5W-30 LL.

As they say, stout oil. :p Its each to his own, but obviously the 40 grade Euro oil is gaining popularity. Pretty much every manufacturer has one. I am running Pennzoil Euro 5w40 in my 6.0 during the summer.

It replaced the venerable Valvoline 5w40 MST that I got good usage of in my former Audi. I would be totally happy to put it or Valvoline 0w40 in my Mercedes turbodiesel.

Very impressive approval list!

what's the Noack? iirc, has to be below 10. No? How much lower?

also what's up with the 5W40's meeting LL specs but not the 0W40's.
Couple days ago I saw Castrol Euro 5W40 for the first time in store and it also meets LL spec. I bought Castrol Euro 0W40 couple weeks ago and it doesn't list LL.

Very impressive approval list!

what's the Noack? iirc, has to be below 10. No? How much lower?

also what's up with the 5W40's meeting LL specs but not the 0W40's.
Couple days ago I saw Castrol Euro 5W40 for the first time in store and it also meets LL spec. I bought Castrol Euro 0W40 couple weeks ago and it doesn't list LL.
Noack 10%
BMW increased it oxidation requirement from crazy to ridiculous crazy eliminating pretty much all 0W oils with HTHS above 3.5.

Noack 10%
BMW increased it oxidation requirement from crazy to ridiculous crazy eliminating pretty much all 0W oils with HTHS above 3.5.

curious, do the 0W40's fail the stringent oxidation tests because of higher amounts of vii?

curious, do the 0W40's fail the stringent oxidation tests because of higher amounts of vii?
They also usually contain more “true” synthetic base stocks. But, BMW might have some other approval specifications that are not known publicly. Their 2018 update increased oxidation requirements, has specific N20 engine test and timing chain protection requirements. So, for older engines like I have, anything MB229.5 or Porsche A40 will cut it.

Just to be clear though, the grade itself does not have any particular meaning in regards to quality. Only the approvals, certifications and licenses lend that.

I see. here is my thought process and it may help me get the answer I'm looking for. Maybe there is none.

My main question was regarding LL spec and why 2 or 3 different brands (for example Castrol and Valvoline) have their Euro 5W40 meeting LL-01 but their Euro 0W-40's don't.
Also please keep in mind that edyvw mentioned the reason was oxidation tests ...

I was thinking that in general 0W (relative to 5W) is a better oil and better base oil ... and maybe it had to do with vii (vm) since 0W40 had to use more of it (relative to 5W40) and as a result, it could not pass the stringent oxidation test. it was just a guess in form of a question.

in regards to assuming 0W40 having higher amounts of vii than 5W40 ... I know it's not always the case as 0W's tend to have a higher natural vi but I am not sure as I also read that the wider the spread, the more the vii (vm).

Maybe I should have asked this instead:
Are 0W40's not formulated to pass LL-01 (they fail LL01 oxidation tests) or the companies (Castrol, Valvoline, any othets?) just decided not to get the cert for it?

btw, I ran into a LONG thread from 2 years ago as to why Edge 0W40 lost LL-01 ... it would be nice to know the conclusion short of having to read 13 pages. lol When I get some time, I may read it.
maybe @kschachn knows the final answer.

It is just a curiosity on my part than a concern. I recently bought some Castrol Euro 0W40 (no LL-01) and then saw the op's Valvoline 5W40 approval list with LL-01 and also noticed store had Castrol Euro 5W40 last time I was there with LL-01 ... It made me wonder what's going on and why neither the Castrol nor Valvoline 0W40's (also M1?) have the LL-01?

btw, I ran into a LONG thread from 2 years ago as to why Edge 0W40 lost LL-01 ... it would be nice to know the conclusion short of having to read 13 pages. lol When I get some time, I may read it.
maybe @kschachn knows the final answer.

It is just a curiosity on my part than a concern. I recently bought some Castrol Euro 0W40 (no LL-01) and then saw the op's Valvoline 5W40 approval list with LL-01 and also noticed store had Castrol Euro 5W40 last time I was there with LL-01 ... It made me wonder what's going on and why neither the Castrol nor Valvoline 0W40's (also M1?) have the LL-01?
Why is LL important to you? Are you driving BMW?
Other than extremely stringent oxidation test, LL spec. is less stringent in general than MB229.5. That is what you should aim at unless you own new BMW engines (B generation) or N20/26 engine.
As for M1, Mobil1 generally is dropping LL. I think reason might be oxidation as M1 contains some esters. They have dropped that in 2015 with FS version as they knew updated LL is coming.

Very robust stuff, as said before, use with confidence. I had high mileage german engines that had nothing but euro spec synthetic 5w40 (ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502.00/505.00, Porsche A40, Renault RN0700, RN0710, PSA B71 2296...) and they all looked exactly like new under the valve cover with 10/15k km OCIs.
MB 229.5 seems to be the most stringent spec out of the bunch as it is the only one lacking when buying a cheaper 5w40 house brand oil usually. How does it compare to say Porsche A40 which seems to be very stringent also? On a side note, group II/III euro semi-synthetics 10w40 are getting really good these days and carry some of the same approvals.

Back