Valvoline EP vs. PUP (Ultra)

Glad this was asked. I’m having a difficult time choosing between these two as well. I’ve used both in my 5.7 Hemi. Completely anecdotal but I believe the Valvoline quieted the engine a bit. The VEP has the higher moly count. If I remember correctly PUP had the higher viscosity and TBN. I’m sure on the moly but don’t take that last part as gospel.

Will be following this thread.

Reactions: pbm
Glad this was asked. I’m having a difficult time choosing between these two as well. I’ve used both in my 5.7 Hemi. Completely anecdotal but I believe the Valvoline quieted the engine a bit. The VEP has the higher moly count. If I remember correctly PUP had the higher viscosity and TBN. I’m sure on the moly but don’t take that last part as gospel.

Will be following this thread.

Don't forget about the Valvoline $5 rebate promotion.

VEP has a much higher moly content by a fair margin, in fact I can't think of any oil currently on the market that has higher moly content than VEP. Valvoline has really stepped up their additive package game in recent years.

Probably the Ultra for me...just from everything I've read it's considered to be an oil that can almost hang with the boutique brands, in terms at least in the comparison charts put out by Amsoil a few years back. But who knows? Both are considered to be the flagship oils of their respective brands. The Valvoline appears to have a very stout add pack too. The Ultra has the GTL and add pack.
If this is the same chart you posted in another thread, it's not a few years old.... It's 13+ years old. A lot has changed in 13 years but Amsoil is still peddling the same old "tests"....

I love jugs! 🥰😘

PUP has better cleaning agents and Valvoline EP has better antiwear agents, I'd go with V EP because I love those jugs and the former Valvoline VME was great in my GDI engines.
What is this claim based on? Oils aren't formulated to clean, they are formulated to keep things clean. The only regular oil (not VPBR) I've ever seen claimed to clean was M1 0w-40, and that's likely due to ester content.

If this is the same chart you posted in another thread, it's not a few years old.... It's 13+ years old. A lot has changed in 13 years but Amsoil is still peddling the same old "tests"....
There‘s also a chart showing Amsoil created running water and the Oreo cookie.

What is this claim based on? Oils aren't formulated to clean, they are formulated to keep things clean. The only regular oil (not VPBR) I've ever seen claimed to clean was M1 0w-40, and that's likely due to ester content.

I strive to use the most accurate language that I possibly can, what I am referring to in my comment about PUP is detergent content. My comments were mistaken as detergents in motor oil usage are used to maintain cleanliness rather than improving cleanliness. Is that a more accurate way of portraying what is occurring? Stated with charity :)

I strive to use the most accurate language that I possibly can, what I am referring to in my comment about PUP is detergent content. My comments were mistaken as detergents in motor oil usage are used to maintain cleanliness rather than improving cleanliness. Is that a more accurate way of portraying what is occurring? Stated with charity :)
And what is the genesis of the claim that this SOPUS product has a higher concentration of, or more effective detergents than the Ashland one?

I've seen the claims that PYB and other SOPUS oils are "cleaners" on here ever since the GTL thing took off and it seemed to just come out of the ether. Somebody claimed it, and then plenty of others started parroting it and it grew legs.

Now, there was a piston cleanliness claim that Shell made (about keeping pistons up to x% cleaner vs competing products, in the 5w-30 grade) but that was heavily marketing biased, as it only showed one piston and when I found the same test data from Mobil, that showed all 6, well, it was easy to spin. Of course all the oils tested were within the limits required to pass the API approval. I produced a meme off that one, but the point is that there's a lot of lore and empty claims that get peddled with the material necessary to back said claims conspicuously absent.

Please note that I'm not trying to single you out with the focus on this, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it, as I've seen it enough times lately that I feel it warrants addressing.

Can you link to that chart? I’d love to see how quality can be quantitatively compared within a license or approval.
Here it is. I must say, I do want a small 401k package and yearly pay incentives for handling your secretary work load.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure either one (and many others) will keep the Mazda running a long, long time. These two are of particular interest due to their great deals online currently.

Here it is. I must say, I do want a small 401k package and yearly pay incentives for handling your secretary work load.

No problem, but I'd need some sort of tangible value in return :)

Please note that I'm not trying to single you out with the focus on this, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it, as I've seen it enough times lately that I feel it warrants addressing.

I appreciate it and I thank you for the respectful tone of your posts. I admit that my perception of these things has likely been twisted by marketing and I need to exercise more caution in how I go about expressing my thoughts in regards to such matters.

That being said I would definitely be going with VEP because I love moly, jugs, and rebates.

Back