Valvoline Engine Warrenty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that Valvoline would be offering a new service to its customers, When using a Valvoline oil Product and using an OCI of 4,000 Miles for every oil change they will warranty your engine for up to 100,000 miles.
You just go to their website and put your information in and whatnot. I Don't think it has launched yet but it seems that even DIY'ers can register for it.

Anybody else know or have heard anything about this?
What are your thoughts on an Oil company giving a warranty on an engine?

It's nothing too out of the ordinary. Pennzoil and Quaker State have offered this for years.

There may be some out there, but I know of no cases of anyone collecting from an oil company warranty for a failed engine due to oil failure.

Originally Posted By: TLMjared
I was told that Valvoline would be offering a new service to its customers, When using a Valvoline oil Product and using an OCI of 4,000 Miles for every oil change they will warranty your engine for up to 100,000 miles.

Those kind of warranties usually are for "oil related" problems only.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
[/quote]
Those kind of warranties usually are for "oil related" problems only.

Thats what I figured, I'm sure there may be cases where that could be hard to prove anyway

Valvoline is only offering 100K Miles, but Pennzoil/QS are offering 250K Miles?

They should do their research...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
There may be some out there, but I know of no cases of anyone collecting from an oil company warranty for a failed engine due to oil failure.

I agree, I think elephants would probably fly before someone collects from an oil company for any engine repairs. Pure advertising.

AD

The fact of the matter is that oil-related engine failures are very rare, as long as you use the correct grade/spec and maintain a reasonable OCI (like Valvoline wants you to). They are basically pushing a warranty that you don't need. So in the end, you receive nothing and it costs them nothing, but it MAY cause some extra sales, so it's a win-win situation for them.

I can start selling soap and guarantee that your hands will not be dirty for 10 years as long as you wash your hands with my soap every 5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Didn't Quacker State have a 250,000 mile warranty years ago?

They still do... 10 years or 300k miles, but you have to change your oil every 4k miles or every 4 months, whichever comes first.

you receive nothing, and it costs them nothing, but you are obliged to buy only one brand for many years. I prefer to buy what's on sale. More frequent changes is a better guarantee, without the hassle of trying to collect. Nice marketing gimmick.

Rewind to ~2002 - a guy had a ~'99 Toyota Sienna (sludger). Used Amsoil 2000 (36k mile oil) - tried to take it to one year (30+k miles), it sludged at ~27k (I think this post is still on the web somewhere, I remember looking it up again a year or so ago). Amsoil paid for the engine.

(No negative statement on Amsoil here. A certain % of these engines appeared to be doomed regardless of oil and OCI - plenty of testimonials on 3k OCIs sludging in 20 to 30k total miles).

Last edited:
(2002 is about when I read the post (not on BITOG), not when he sludged. If I remember correctly, he had installed Amsoil soon after purchasing the van, and went straight for the 36k OCI - didn't make it).

Originally Posted By: ericthepig

Rewind to ~2002 - a guy had a ~'99 Toyota Sienna (sludger). Used Amsoil 2000 (36k mile oil) - tried to take it to one year (30+k miles), it sludged at ~27k (I think this post is still on the web somewhere, I remember looking it up again a year or so ago). Amsoil paid for the engine.

(No negative statement on Amsoil here. A certain % of these engines appeared to be doomed regardless of oil and OCI - plenty of testimonials on 3k OCIs sludging in 20 to 30k total miles).

I believe somewhere on the amsoil site they have a list of how long you can go on each of their products and they also have a customized list of how long you can go on known slugging engines. Those guys are too smart!

More on engine warranty to come. It's not what you all are thinking or talking about. Pay attention around June.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back