Valvoline double talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les

This is off of their Synpower FAQ's. The usual double talk answer...

Is Valvoline SynPower a full synthetic? Is SynPower motor oil PAO or ester based? Does it require a special filter?
Yes, SynPower is 100% synthetic. Synpower uses a proprietary combination of various types of synthetic base oils to obtain optimum performance.

No, a special oil filter is not required with Synpower.

I am not a proponent of Valvoline but if you just read what they say about the 5w40 you would be led to believe it is something really special.

SAE 5w40: Provides the widest range of protection available in the SynPower motor oil line. Delivers outstanding cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up. Provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where an API SJ or CF oil is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA A3/B3 and all preceeding API Gasoline Engine Oils. Meets or exceeds the engine performance requirements for BMW, Bentley, Corvette (GM4718M), Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Volkswagen, Volvo and other high performance vehicles.
dunno.gif

Les

I've used it a few times. No UOA but no complaints at 7500 mile OCI. An older formula, originally made for BMW labeling as an ACEA A3 in 1998. Available at NAPA. I now prefer a high TBN oil like Shell Rotella T synth 5w-40 from Wal*Mart for ACEA A3 applications.

Valv. 5W-40 is in my engine right now (VW calls for 5W-40). I am unhappy with this oil. During cold starts my motor sounds like with dealer-supplied Castrol GTX. Next oil change I'm going back to Mobil 1 0W-40. The only good thing I can say about this oil is that its TBN is quite high (10 if I'm correct).

quote:

Originally posted by TheNauseator:
Valv. 5W-40 is in my engine right now (VW calls for 5W-40). I am unhappy with this oil. During cold starts my motor sounds like with dealer-supplied Castrol GTX. Next oil change I'm going back to Mobil 1 0W-40. The only good thing I can say about this oil is that its TBN is quite high (10 if I'm correct).

Nauseator,
How bout doing a UOA on the valvoline when you change it out? We need more UOAs besides Mobil 1 to get valid comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back