Valvoline Dino 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the Valvoline 10W-40 4-stroke motorcycle oil in a few bikes and they seem to run and shift fine. Haven't ran the 20W-50, but I'm sure it's decent coventional oil. Never did any UOAs. Valvoline 4-stroke M/C oil meets the JASO specs for wet clutches.

Amazon sells the Castrol M/C oils (semi-synthetic and full synthetic) if that's an option north of the boarder.

Usually when auto parts stores in my area are moving/eliminating oil & oil brand inventory, 15W40 & 20W50 are in plenty of supply and some of the first to go...on the cheap, in the $1-$2/qt area.

Originally Posted By: webfors
After reading several UOAs showing severe shear on many 40 weight oils I'm considering a 20w50.

I can run across the border and get Valvoline 4T 20w50 conventional for $4.44 a quart:

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...10-ac162d889bd3

Looking for feedback on this oil, or recommendations for a similar oil.

I used the conventional 20/50 4T for years in my Yamaha Vstar 1300. (its also comes in Syn)
You cant go wrong, most underrated oil on the market as far as I am concerned. If you go back (guessing) to around 2012/13 in these very forums I have posted UOAs on that oil from my then at the time yamaha.
Best part about the oil, shifting stayed best in the shared sump longer then any other oil I tried in a metric, great wear numbers too, in the UOA.

Goes back to the same oil debate, you can spend money on anything you want that makes you feel better, but oil products from quality known companies are equal, except for price. Valvoline is a great oil and rated the same as them all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Have you considered a synthetic?

Going to stick with conventional. No need to spend more for Suzuki's short intervals.

I wish I could find Castrol's Go! 4T 20w50. Noack of 4.3!

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
After reading several UOAs showing severe shear on many 40 weight oils I'm considering a 20w50.

I can run across the border and get Valvoline 4T 20w50 conventional for $4.44 a quart:

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...10-ac162d889bd3

Looking for feedback on this oil, or recommendations for a similar oil.

I used the conventional 20/50 4T for years in my Yamaha Vstar 1300. (its also comes in Syn)
You cant go wrong, most underrated oil on the market as far as I am concerned. If you go back (guessing) to around 2012/13 in these very forums I have posted UOAs on that oil from my then at the time yamaha.
Best part about the oil, shifting stayed best in the shared sump longer then any other oil I tried in a metric, great wear numbers too, in the UOA.

Goes back to the same oil debate, you can spend money on anything you want that makes you feel better, but oil products from quality known companies are equal, except for price. Valvoline is a great oil and rated the same as them all.

That's great to hear! I'm going to try and dig those UOAs up. If you have them handy please post.

I just ordered 12 quarts of the Valvoline 20w50 and 6 K&N KN138 oil filters that were on sale for $6 each.

Hmm.. searched for 20w50 in the motorcycle UOA section and couldn't find them.

I called Valvoline to ask about mixing their conventional 10w40 and 20w50 and they said they do NOT recommend mixing oils of different viscosities, even if they are the same brand. The rep did state that mixing oils of the same viscosity is fine even if it's different brands.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Can you show us an example of one of those UOA’s?

Search function
grin.gif

There are many examples in wet clutch applications that sheared 20-30+%. Many ending as a 30 weight, with some even ending as a 20 weight:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...Mot#Post4632660
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4063960/Searchpage/1/Main/251598/Words/10w40/Search/true/Re:_2014_Suzuki_V-Strom_DL650A#Post4063960
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3931607/Searchpage/1/Main/245477/Words/10w40/Search/true/Re:_kawasaki_dino_10w40_w/_TAN#Post3931607
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3157679/Searchpage/2/Main/205264/Words/10w40/Search/true/Re:_Suzuki_GS500,_Castrol_4T_1#Post3157679

Going to stick with conventional. No need to spend more for Suzuki's short intervals.

I believe Castrol Go! 4T, and the older 4T, is the same thing as Castrol Grand Prix Motorcycle oil 10w40 and 20w50 sold here in Canada.

90457.jpg

Originally Posted By: mkskud

I believe Castrol Go! 4T, and the older 4T, is the same thing as Castrol Grand Prix Motorcycle oil 10w40 and 20w50 sold here in Canada.

90457.jpg

Unfortunately the Castrol Grand Prix in Canada has no mention of Jaso MA/MA2 on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: mkskud
it's an old bottle design... Grand Prix is definitely JASO MA oil, no question.

That's what the Castrol rep said when I called. However, they have no PDS stating as such. I asked her to investigate and get back to me
grin.gif

I use it all the time in my worn out Ford tractor.I wouldn't go that heavy in a healthy engine however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
It seems like 20W-50 is the new 0W-40 around here now.

One word... "shearing".

For what it is worth.... I have run a lot of Valvoline products in cars and bikes (petro oils) and never ever had a problem
or bad UOA. I am not claiming it is the best oil you can buy, but unless you are severely abusive or racing, I would have
zero concerns. ANY decent, major brand 20W-50 is going to be a very hardy oil.

Originally Posted By: RC46_Rider
For what it is worth.... I have run a lot of Valvoline products in cars and bikes (petro oils) and never ever had a problem
or bad UOA. I am not claiming it is the best oil you can buy, but unless you are severely abusive or racing, I would have
zero concerns. ANY decent, major brand 20W-50 is going to be a very hardy oil.

I've been very happy with the shifting quality over the past 700km. We'll se if it holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back