Valvoline daily protection "synthetic blend" spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by csandste
Conoco-Phillips: Two price points, semi-syn and syn.
Valvoline: Three price points, conventional, semi-syn, and syn.

Funny you mention ConocoPhillips: as looked at a 5qt jug of Motorcraft HDEO 10w30 and 15w40 at Wal Mart, neither jug had a CK4 or FA whatever spec or "API Donut" on back of jug. Just saying

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Same stuff, really?

Yep, this is the latest iteration of the new (new) labeling from valvoline. Just like the maxlife a week ago.

The new labels on this and the maxlife look worse than the old ones. Too bad.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by Patman
I know that I'm not the biggest fan of Supertech synthetic, but I can't see why anyone would run this blend when they could get a full synthetic for less at Walmart every day.

IMO, synthetic blends are just marketing scams....

Precisely.

This is Valvoline's entry offering it's their new conventional.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I know that I'm not the biggest fan of Supertech synthetic, but I can't see why anyone would run this blend when they could get a full synthetic for less at Walmart every day.

QSUD is $19.97 at Wally World
I'd rather pay $2 bucks more ðŸ‘

Exactly! I'd choose QSUD over Supertech synthetic or any blend for sure.

That's dumb when the same specs are met.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by wemay
Thanks '53.
For those downplaying the value of a blend,
There are studies, posted here, that theorize GrpII plus GrpIII blends perform better where LSPI and IVD is concerned. Granted, these are outlier studies...but due exist. People who would use this oil could care less what others think about QS or ST as well. Some folks just like Valvoline. I sure I'll give it a try in the Sportage.

Thats a good point. I also seem to always find myself going back to the question "what does Ford know about the ability of a blend". They seem confident in it's ability and many many engines have gone hundreds of thousands of miles with it.

It's only a blend because old CP decided a group II/III blend was the most cost effective way to meet specs. In Canada where XOM is the supplier of Motorcraft it's a conventional.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by kstanf150

QSUD is $19.97 at Wally World
I'd rather pay $2 bucks more ðŸ‘

Exactly! I'd choose QSUD over Supertech synthetic or any blend for sure.

That's dumb when the same specs are met.

It's not dumb at all, just because two oils meet the same specs doesn't make them identical in every way. One can still be of higher quality.

But then you'd have to put that god awful green bottle on your shelf.

Also, one COULD be of higher quality - but price doesn't necessarily correlate to quality. So with nothing else to go on - they both meet the same standards.

Therefore they are equal in everything but price.

And supertech wins there.

In 250k miles with either, are you going to see a real world difference? I doubt it.

Paying more for a product doesn't make it superior. It would be essentially impossible to tell the difference between supertech synthetic and QSUD in real world applications. Spend your money as you wish but don't be so sure you're getting a better product.

Supertech labels never mention the fight against deposits. All other brands like QS, Penn, Castrol, Valv and Mobil-1 labels do.

They are alll NOT equal. Go buy a better brand of kool-aid, to sell your story to. You probably think Warren forgot to say-such on the Supertech label. You feel it's an oversight?....... hahahaha.

Well, guess what?...... they likely forgot nothing.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Supertech labels never mention the fight against deposits. All other brands like QS, Penn, Castrol, Valv and Mobil-1 labels do.

They are alll NOT equal. Go buy a better brand of kool-aid, to sell your story to. You probably think Warren forgot to say-such on the Supertech label. You feel it's an oversight?....... hahahaha.

Well, guess what?...... they likely forgot nothing.

We've heard this diatribe from you on repeat for some time now.

Supertech Full Synthetic says quite literally "Combats sludge and Deposits" RIGHT ON THE BACK LABEL.

Don't believe me look right here and zoom in : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/17133942

It gets three stars for it! Does that mean it's less effective than valvolines 4 star system?

I cannot believe that you continue to spew this nonsense. Not only is it ridiculous that we even have to explain that bottle labels are almost entirely marketing - but you are also COMPLETELY WRONG - the bottle says "combats sludge and deposits."

So please, feel free to STOP with your COMPLETE DRIVEL.

Store Brand oil meets minimum standards whether Supertech, Napa, Carquest etc. If you want full protection with latest updates then get a name brand. Warren, Valvoline etc. makes one base for their own products and another for their customers. Ask how I know, I called and even posted the response I got in an email. When ask if it met spec the answer was simple. Yes it meets minimum API spec which meets your automobile license but if you want your vehicle spec you can use our premium product. Looking at specs premium product is latest formulas and store brands have older formulas that still meet specs. Nothing wrong with it just not the latest formulas that don't have the backing of major oil companies (ie Valvoline won't back Napa). If you ever have a problem with the oil you must rely on store you bought it from. These are facts.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Store Brand oil meets minimum standards whether Supertech, Napa, Carquest etc. If you want full protection with latest updates then get a name brand. Warren, Valvoline etc. makes one base for their own products and another for their customers. Ask how I know, I called and even posted the response I got in an email. When ask if it met spec the answer was simple. Yes it meets minimum API spec which meets your automobile license but if you want your vehicle spec you can use our premium product. Looking at specs premium product is latest formulas and store brands have older formulas that still meet specs. Nothing wrong with it just not the latest formulas that don't have the backing of major oil companies (ie Valvoline won't back Napa). If you ever have a problem with the oil you must rely on store you bought it from. These are facts.

Supertech shares the same DEXOS1G2 approval as MAG1 (a highly regarded oil). They are nominally similar, if not the same.

Re-brand companies like warren are LOATHE to say that everything they make is similar/same. You'll get everything but a straight answer. Look at the approvals.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Supertech shares the same DEXOS1G2 approval as MAG1 (a highly regarded oil). They are nominally similar, if not the same.

Re-brand companies like warren are LOATHE to say that everything they make is similar/same. You'll get everything but a straight answer. Look at the approvals.

I would say they are the same product. It wouldn't make financial sense for them to make a slightly different one. These are house-brand geared products blended and tested to meet the minimums for their respective approvals as cost effectively as possible so that they can still make a healthy profit.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I would say they are the same product. It wouldn't make financial sense for them to make a slightly different one. These are house-brand geared products blended and tested to meet the minimums for their respective approvals as cost effectively as possible so that they can still make a healthy profit.

Yeah, if they share the same license number they're definitely the same product.

Supertech cost me 1.00 more than ProDs and ProDs meets spec. I need the Chrysler Specs for warranty which Napa nor Supertech have. I was always under impression oil was oil until I got into a warranted vehicle.

Supertech cost me 1.00 more than ProDs and ProDs meets spec. I need the Chrysler Specs for warranty which Napa nor Supertech have. I was always under impression oil was oil until I got into a warranted vehicle.

The havoline stuff is a pretty sweet deal with the boxes. Love that.

The havoline stuff is a pretty sweet deal with the boxes. Love that.

I 2nd the pro ds 6qt box. My Fusion takes 5.7qts, so a box for 20 bucks of synthetic and a three dollar filter work great for me. According to BITOG its a great oil too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back