Valvoline Blue ATF & Valvoline Red Maxlife ATF

Whats the difference between Valvoline Blue ATF & Valvoline Red Maxlife ATF ? It says full synthetic on the blue bottle and it costs a little more but beside that....whats the difference ?

Dex VI, Import, or ATF +4? Saying "blue" is not very descriptive. If you are talking about the Dex VI, then Kschachn would be correct.

If you're debating which ATF to use in your transmission, give us more info. And some of the experts on here (MolaKule) can help you decide what fluids would be appropriate for you transmission.

So Blue and Red are the same but your paying a Premium for the licensed ATF ? hhhmm
They're not the same exact thing. The Dex VI is a licensed product. The Maxlife is a multi-vehicle fluid for most transmissions and uses additives for high millage transmissions.

Are you trying to decide what transmission fluid to use in an application, or are you just curious about the difference?

The Maxlife is very similar to the Dex VI, so I would go with either of them. If a warrenty was present, then I would go Dex VI - blue bottle.

are you just curious about the difference?
Yes I was wondering about the difference because I bought the Red Maxlife DexVI / LV for my Ford and recently bought the Blue DexVI / LV for my Chevy and the same

In my experience, the blue is conventional and Dex/Merc and the red is synthetic TIV.

It should say on the bottle.

Do you mean the Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle? If I remember correctly it's thicker than Maxlife.

Heres what they look like. One is Blue and one is Red. Both are Full Syn DexVI / LV. Maxlife is a few bucks cheaper

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 11-18-30 Product Details.png

The blue MULTI vehicle is for older transmissions with the thicker conventional fluid, like DexIII, Toyota T-IV or whatever (pre WS). Yeah Valvoline says the red maxlife will work for those too but there is a viscosity difference, and for older transmissions that took it it would make sense to use the thicker spec fluid.

I think theres also a blue multi vehicle bottle for conventional "import" models. Again, these are for pre low visc ATF.

Red maxlife is not necessarily for high mileage, I used it in my kia with 30k with no issue. Even the packaging says it will work fine in newer vehicles.

Back