Valvoline Advanced Full Syn 5W-30; 1,229 mi, '07 Toyota 1GR-FE

Eight months on oil. (Went 2 months longer than recommendation because only drove about 400 miles in last 2 months.) Mix of high-speed highway, dusty 4WD off-road rock crawling and stop/go city miles. I suppose it is so worn out there are no more wear metals to be had. Fram Extra Guard oil filter was not changed at beginning interval of the oil sampled here. (Only change every other time.)

1647452443894.jpg

I wasn't aware there was that much moly in Valvoline Advanced. Did you use something with high moly previously?

Third oil change by me with same oil. Prior owner used it at least once according to quick lube sticker. Only thing "off-label" was last two tanks of gas I used CataClean during the last 1/4 tank.

Six months (or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first) is Toyota's recommendation. If I were to base it on this analysis, more time sure seems doable especially if I run this little mileage. Probably will not fret if I let more time pass. I would consider my usage (especially rock crawling) to be severe service though.

Fe at 5ppm/1k miles. Higher wear rate typical of a really short OCI.

My recommendation is an either/or condition:
1) ingore the time limit and run a MIN of 5k mile OCIs
2) run with the calendar and quit wasting money on UOAs, because if you're going to ignore what the data tells you, there's no value in the UOA

Last edited:
... if you're going to ignore what the data tells you, ....

With only one limited-parameter test, do I really know what the data tells me? If I could get just fuel dilution, viscosity and TBN tests without all the other stuff, it would probably be more useful.

Personally, I thought doing a UOA on a vehicle with 300,000 miles was superfluous in the first place.

The wear rate is acceptable, but a tad high because it's such a short OCI.

Fuel, vis and TBN are only inputs; they speak to the lube. The wear metals speak to the engine itself; they are results of what the lube is doing for you. I disagree with you; knowing inputs is not as important as knowing outputs. But that's OK; we all have different viewpoints.

At nearly 300k, it's not like the SUV owes you anything at this point. I'd say stop the UOAs and just enjoy the truck.

Nice! 2007 Tacoma 1GR-FE owner here. I’ve had it since new in June 2007 and now have almost 245,000 miles.

Ive done a few UOAs and posted here, and ive had a couple that weren’t stellar, but it runs extremely well!

Good as new, I’d say.

I’ve always run Mobil 1, and since around 70K, it’s been the M1-EP.

I think the Valvoline Advanced is a really good oil. Typically a bit higher HTHS than M1, and very low amounts of viscosity modifying polymers, which is good for a clean engine.

What a waste of oil.
I have had a 07 FJ Cruiser for 13 yrs and 217k miles. I have never changed the oil before it had at least 10k miles. It doesn't burn or leak a drop. This engine is very easy on oil.
Do you do dusty 4WD off-road rock crawling and stop/go city miles?

Back