Valvoline Advanced 5W30 SP Rated : Has SA Been Reduced ?

For GDI engines most knowledgeable oil enthusiasts here agree that Valvoline Advanced 5W30 synthetic oil is a great choice due to make up and especially very low VII's helpful to reduce IVD in GDI engines ... The lone negative I could find is that SA was on the high side as compared to other synthetic 5W30 oils as higher SA content can be a negative for GDI engines (i.e. leading to increased IVD ) . *Does anyone know if the new SP formulation has lower SA content (going off of memory I believe the 5W30 Advanced SN Plus version was 0.97% SA , but I could be wrong) . If SA levels has been reduced in Valvoline Advanced - then a truly great synthetic oil could have possibly become even better !

I've found that some car brands prefer certain oils. My 19" Sorento likes Castrol, QS, and PP, but burned M1. My friend's 18' Camry uses Supertech and doesn't burn anything but did burn on PP. Go figure. Find a full synth that your car likes and use it. Maintenance is more important than brand of oil.

Most knowledgeable oil enthusiasts...... thats just too funny
....make up and especially very low VII.... Do you have insider info or just quoting MSDS and BS marketing? low compared to specifically what competitor?

There is nothing about any common oil brand that would sway me from any other common oil brand, other than price or availability.

I like using full saps heavy VII oils, like loaded 0w40's, in my Hyundai and don't have any issues. I just can't get it to LSPI... you know that overhyped PI caused by poor automaker tuning recommending regular with a high compression high boost engine connected to a transmission that is a couple gears to high for the given speed

IIRC, the API SP version of Castrol Edge EP has a SA of .78%. Their site is currently down or else I would post the data sheet.

0.97% is not that much. It would fall into Mid-SAPS oils.
IMO, Advance never looked to me that good due to higher Noack which is also contributor. Mobil1 5W30 EP would be my choice for GDI engines that require ILSAC GF oils.
If turbo, always go Euro flavor 5W30.
What do you consider high Noack?

A chart published by Valvoline around the time that they reformulated their oils for SN+ shows Valvoline Advanced oils to have very competitive Noack scores, including a self-reported 9.3% for the 5W-30, and 8% for the 10W-30.

Not as good as the GTL PPPP 10W-30 I used to run in my 2016 WRX (4.7%), but not horrible.

From a quick search, it looks like M1 doesn’t publish Noack, but there was a claim on this site that M1-EP 5W-30 is around 9%.

So, the Valvoline Advanced looks to be very competitive; right there in the ballpark with some of the other popular ILSAC GF oils.

Member Gokhan’s VII estimator also shows the Valvoline Advanced oils to be very low in VII, compared to other oils, which he says is indicative of a very good quality base oil, which is not only thick enough to meet viscosity requirements, but also flows well at low temps.

Ive been using the M1-EP 5W-30 and 10W-30 for years in my Tacoma, but the low amounts of VII in the Valvoline Advanced intrigue me.

What do you consider high Noack?

A chart published by Valvoline around the time that they reformulated their oils for SN+ shows Valvoline Advanced oils to have very competitive Noack scores, including a self-reported 9.3% for the 5W-30, and 8% for the 10W-30.

Not as good as the GTL PPPP 10W-30 I used to run in my 2016 WRX (4.7%), but not horrible.

From a quick search, it looks like M1 doesn’t publish Noack, but there was a claim on this site that M1-EP 5W-30 is around 9%.

So, the Valvoline Advanced looks to be very competitive; right there in the ballpark with some of the other popular ILSAC GF oils.

Member Gokhan’s VII estimator also shows the Valvoline Advanced oils to be very low in VII, compared to other oils, which he says is indicative of a very good quality base oil, which is not only thick enough to meet viscosity requirements, but also flows well at low temps.

Ive been using the M1-EP 5W-30 and 10W-30 for years in my Tacoma, but the low amounts of VII in the Valvoline Advanced intrigue me.
I thought their 5W30 is 11%?

I found this chart, dated Feb. 2018, apparently published by Valvoline:

Ive attached screenshots in case the link stops working.

Apparently it’s been reformulated since 2018, because the zinc & phosphorus levels have gone up.
62EBF4B0-B5E0-4534-B01F-F7747D313475.png

When you go to the Valvoline site now, it only claims “
Would appreciate input from @Gokhan on this.

Attachments

• D7CF7F0B-2E44-4988-837B-AFA1C768E837.png
    D7CF7F0B-2E44-4988-837B-AFA1C768E837.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 44
Well, I do want to reiterate that we don’t know Noack for current formulation, since Valvoline only claims
And it’s apparently gone through a reformulation since 2018 when the above was published.

Check out @Gokhan’s VII calculator. Estimates VII content at 2.28% for VAS 5W-30. And HTFS (high temp full shear) at a very good 2.73%. If im not mistaken, this indicates a really good base oil that they’re using. And should equate to an oil that will do very well at keeping the piston rings and entire engine very clean, as well as resisting shear-down very well.

Back