Valvoline 5w30 dino 4,600 miles Honda Accord I-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a BITOG newbie, without a PhD in oil analysis, the last three posts mean little or nothing to me.

Additisation? ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5?

Not a clue what this all means. Be happy to (try and) answer if I understood.

Happy Father's day y'all!

I'm taking my 92 year young pal out in the 1925 to a British Car Show in Coconut Grove today. Whether it's GF-4 or GF-5, I just hope it lubricates!

Last edited:
You'll know in time if you wish
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
UOA doesnt evidence engine wear so, read all you want into those low numbers. I suspect a B-S misanalysis as the additisation is below required or acceptable level. I'd let it slide as this is a UOA not a VOA. Viscosity sheard out of grade which is not tolerated on ILSAC GF-5 spec.

It appears to still be within grade, which report are you reading?

I dont use B-S typical range values; they tolerate 10% out of grade, possibly due to fuel. No Biggie. A 9 is better than an 8
smile.gif
Still would like to know if this analysis is a GF-5, I'm under the assumption that it's a 4.

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
It never ceases to amaze me that people will blast an oil like Valvoline for having a weak add pack regardless of how well it performs. I'm glad that companies like Valvoline seek to upgrade their technology as opposed to using a ton of the same additives that have been used for decades.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Don't know if this oil was SM or SN. Can say OC was done 12/8/10 and oil was probably purchased a week earlier.

When did SN appear on AAP shelves?

Valvoline is a really good oil I woudn't overlook them one minute. Valvoline uses as good as additives as anyone else and not to mention a 20 dollar test isn't going to tell you a whole lot about oil. Only a man who doubts his oil would have a UOA done on it. I know I would not use Pennzoil/Quick Mistake if you paid me too. Even Arnold Palmer coudn't convince me lol.

Thanks OldCowboy! I've been following your thread before you posted here. Talk about OCD!!!! HA!

Actually as interesting and informative as the whole site is, the oil part is pretty OCD! After all the detailed analysis that goes on, the next post will say you can use up all the old 1/2 bottles of assorted oils in your garage for your next OC.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Thanks OldCowboy! I've been following your thread before you posted here. Talk about OCD!!!! HA!

Actually as interesting and informative as the whole site is, the oil part is pretty OCD! After all the detailed analysis that goes on, the next post will say you can use up all the old 1/2 bottles of assorted oils in your garage for your next OC.

^You have generalized "possibilities" vs. more obvious "vulnerabilities" vs. "perfect-application-relative-'options'"...welcome to BITOG!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: VR1
Valvoline is a really good oil I woudn't overlook them one minute. Valvoline uses as good as additives as anyone else and not to mention a 20 dollar test isn't going to tell you a whole lot about oil. Only a man who doubts his oil would have a UOA done on it. I know I would not use Pennzoil/Quick Mistake if you paid me too. Even Arnold Palmer coudn't convince me lol.

How wonderful to have such a knowledgeable Pennzoil and UOA guru join the padded room.

Vr1, why dont you tell us how you really feel about Pennzoil?
grin.gif

Honestly, lexus114 Pennzoil might have changed in these last few years but, I have seen way to many engines left dirty with sludge in the bad cases and varnish in most cases. I understand that any oil not changed regulary will sludge due to oxidation and what not but, if your changing your oil every 3 to 4k and are using the correct oil as far as the API rating and viscosity I don't see how any engine should have any dirt in it whatsoever except for what in the oil itself being held by the dispersants until the oil gets changed out. Call me crazy or old school but, I don't give second chances. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

Honestly, lexus114 Pennzoil might have changed in these last few years but, I have seen way to many engines left dirty with sludge in the bad cases and varnish in most cases. I understand that any oil not changed regulary will sludge due to oxidation and what not but, if your changing your oil every 3 to 4k and are using the correct oil as far as the API rating and viscosity I don't see how any engine should have any dirt in it whatsoever except for what in the oil itself being held by the dispersants until the oil gets changed out. Call me crazy or old school but, I don't give second chances. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

Funny, I've never had any engine with varnish or sludge and have used mostly Quaker State and Supertech oils.

Sounds like you didn't keep up on your maintenance.

I wouldn't put that [censored] in my lawn mower. I have never used Pennzoil/Quick Mistake and don't see to do so in the future either. How much did Pennzoil and Quick mistake pay you to say that? lol. It seems this site is sponsored by Shell which isn't any better either the dutch no thank you. Look at it like this explain this to me. 1. Why does every claim Pennzoil make talk about cleaning the engine and cleaning out sludge? Heck the YB Pennzoil says something along the lines of 40% of sludged removed in the first oil changed. What a crock of [censored] maybe puts 40% sludge in the first change. I stunned that every Pennzoil claim is only about removing sludge and cleaning engines.

Not really but, honestly thats all just a numbers game it doesn't prove anything. The only way to know if an oil is truly doing the job is to either look in the engine if you can see enough of it at the fill cap or take it apart and look for wear and engine cleanliness. To me its not a bad thing to do a UOA VOA but, your only going of a sheet of writing with some numbers on it and at that a 20 dollar blackstone labs test isn't going to be 100% correct you pay for what you get. If you were to buy a much more expensive test then maybe you would have something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back