Valvoline 5w30 dino 4,600 miles Honda Accord I-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 with 145k miles. A fairly boring report just posted for other interested Accord owners or Valvoline 5w-30 dino users.
I'd like to see a little higher moly so may use Havoline or Formula Shell 5w-20 next go around.

Accord%20UOA%203.26.11.pdf.jpg

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Why change anything?? How much better do expcet it to be?

+1 Moly isn't going to make that report any better. You have a good thing going I wouldn't change anything either. I don't think you would have any problems with Havoline or Shell though.

This oil is a sleeper. 5-30 always shears yet not with Valvoline. If you want moly try PYB or Shell, Havoline SN joined others and removed moly.

Oil works fine, but again, its a weak additive pack. Zinc way down in the mid 600's. No other oil has such low Zinc.

Sure it'll work fine in the engine, but you'll find better protection in most every other PCMO oil.

Flame me all you want, but it's true.

Yet look at the Edge in the Camero a few threads down, zinc and ph. almost same #
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Oil works fine, but again, its a weak additive pack. Zinc way down in the mid 600's. No other oil has such low Zinc.

Sure it'll work fine in the engine, but you'll find better protection in most every other PCMO oil.

I'm not so sure. I've run Valvoline for years as its always been one of my favorites. I've had no issues even on engines that are hard on oil. Additive pack or not, the engine shed virtually zero wear metal. What's to argue?

I have virtually the same car-an 05 with 152K. The UOA at 151K showed almost exactly the same wear metals during a NJ winter with many cold starts/2 miles trips.
Oil used was PYB/PP 5-30 mix. OCI 7956 miles

The only thing I would change is the OCI-move it out till at least 6K miles

That is a silly statement given that all of the addpack doesn't show up on a UOA for most oils now days.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

That is a silly statement given that all of the addpack doesn't show up on a UOA for most oils now days.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will blast an oil like Valvoline for having a weak add pack regardless of how well it performs. I'm glad that companies like Valvoline seek to upgrade their technology as opposed to using a ton of the same additives that have been used for decades.

For some it is hard to believe that a product might be greater than sum of its parts.
Having said that credit should go to the motor, owner and the driver as well as the oil.

UOA doesnt evidence engine wear so, read all you want into those low numbers. I suspect a B-S misanalysis as the additisation is below required or acceptable level. I'd let it slide as this is a UOA not a VOA. Viscosity sheard out of grade which is not tolerated on ILSAC GF-5 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back