Valvoline 5w20M/C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time the service dept. at my Ford dealer changed the oil in my Expedition, the service sticker indicated "5w20M/C". The 5w20 part I get, but what does the M/C stand for?

He bumped my change interval from 3K to 5K, is there a relationship to my first question? Maybe he is now putting in a synthetic blend. Any idea?

If you're lucky the MC stands for Motorcraft syn blend. Easy 5k oil and in combination with MC filter it's a great combo.

5k is standard on the Ford Explorer 4.6L, and it usually works out that way on the OLM.

Not sure where the Valvoline fits in.
21.gif

The service dept. sticker is a valvoline sticker, plus they have the Valvoline advertising all over the place. That's why the "M/C" puzzles me. Is it safe to assume that the two oils (Motorcraft and Valvoline) are interchangable?

Both oils are by different companies, Valvoline/Ashland and MC/Conoco.

They likely have the Valvoline windshield stickers, but most in the know would prefer the MC over the Valvoline.

Nothing wrong with the Valvoline but the Motorcraft Syn Blend is highly thought of.

Many thanks for sharing "the know." I looked and it does have a Motorcraft filter so most likely the oil is too -- especially since it was done by a Ford dealer service dept.

MC 5/20= Great oil. Ihave used it in my Honda with good results for 3 yrs. Also using the 5/20 in my son's Mazda 3.

Valvoline/Ashland is very big into dealerships, and often supply the oil change stickers along with bulk grease, paper floormats, etc.

Besides the dealership, can M/C oil and filters be purchased for a doityourself quick change between service interval before going on a short over the mountains trip pulling a 19' boat?

Originally Posted By: Blackpony
Many thanks for sharing "the know." I looked and it does have a Motorcraft filter so most likely the oil is too -- especially since it was done by a Ford dealer service dept.

Why don't you just call the service dept and ask what kind of bulk oil they use! End all this speculation and let us know! I have done this many times they are glad to tell you.
Joe

Besides the dealership, can M/C oil and filters be purchased for a doityourself quick change between service interval before going on a short over the mountains trip pulling a 19' boat?

Yes, Motorcraft oil and filters are available just about everywhere.

Originally Posted By: rat

Yes, Motorcraft oil and filters are available just about everywhere.
And, at very reasonable prices for both. Wallyworld to mention one place.

many years ago I found some evidence that motorcraft oil was mfgr'd by Havoline. I don't know where I saw it at, it might've been on the bottle somewhere. this was like 8 years ago when autozone started to carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back