Valvoline 5w-40 extreme synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think? I work for Cummins and can get this stuff at work for dirt cheap. I called Valvoline and a lab tech told me this stuff was loaded with moly. No numbers to back it up though. Thinking about running it in my '03 5.4 triton. What do you think? Going to stick with 3-5k oil changes. Also, is it the higher the pumpability number, the easier it flows cold? Thanks!
5w-40 Extreme

quote:

Originally posted by detroitford:
What do you guys think? I work for Cummins and can get this stuff at work for dirt cheap. I called Valvoline and a lab tech told me this stuff was loaded with moly. No numbers to back it up though. Thinking about running it in my '03 5.4 triton. What do you think? Going to stick with 3-5k oil changes. Also, is it the higher the pumpability number, the easier it flows cold? Thanks!

No, it's the lower the number. The specs aren't too bad, but with a pour point of -39°C, this is definitely NOT a PAO based oil. It's Group III. Delvac 1 has a pour point of -49°C and Mobil 1 5w30 has a pour point of -54°C. Castrol's Elixion 5w30 HD oil has a pour point of -52°C. These are all PAO/ester based oils.

Thanks. I can get this stuff for about $1.75 a quart with my discount. Was thinking about trying it. Figured I would run the numbers by the
"guru's" first.

It is a heavy duty oil go for it the price is right and it will protect your engine better than any passenger car oil .Cummins recommends this oil? the ch4 and ci oils are incredable oils.

quote:

Originally posted by detroitford:
Thanks. I can get this stuff for about $1.75 a quart with my discount. Was thinking about trying it. Figured I would run the numbers by the
"guru's" first.

At that price you can't go wrong, give it a try and do a UOA for us!

Wow, that is a great price that you're getting on this oil. As has already been mentioned you can't go wrong with it. If I had to pay for the product then I'd choose Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 (if choosing Gp 3 diesel oils) over this oil but since you're getting such a great deal then you can't go wrong.

wink.gif
edited to remove the question about what vehicle you're using this oil in.

[ May 08, 2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back