Valvoline 5W-30, 2000 Silverado 5.3l, 3562 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine has 98,500 miles on it. I bought it with 92k miles. I usually change the oil around 3,000 miles. As far as fuel dilution-PVC valve is new, was thinking maybe because I only commute about 7 miles each way to work that that's the reason.

The viscocity part of the report says:

Sus viscosity at 210F = 54.3 (should be 54 to 63)
Flashpoint 345 (should be > 365)
Fuel 1% (should be less than 2%)

The verbiage at the top of the report seems to tell me that the viscosity was low due to fuel in the oil. Does that sound about right?

I have the same, short commute and my fuel was raised, viscosity lowered.

OK report, but 19PPM of lead after 3,500 miles?

--- Bror Jace

Blackstone Labs Report on my 2000 Silverado
5.3L engine, 5 qts Valvoline 5W-30, AC Delco Filter.

1.0% of this sample was gas, which has lowered the viscosity to the minimum for a 5W/30.
The TBN was 2.9 so active additive still exists in the oil after the 3,562 mile oil use run. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type engine after about 5,225 miles run on the oil. We found your wear at better than average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration appear normal. This was a gas-engine use oil with no moisture or anti-freeze in it. The oil could have stayed in use longer. Nice engine.

EQUIPMENT MAKE: GM
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 5.3L 327 CI V-8
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 3,562 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Valvoline 5W/30 (gas)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

My Eng
Aluminum 2
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 19
COPPER 7
LEAD 2
TIN 2
MOLYBDENUM 9
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 8
SILICON 7
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 1670
MAGNESIUM 9
PHOSPHORUS 726
ZINC 792
BARIUM 0

Fuel 1.0%
Antifreeze 0.0%
Water 0.0%
Insolubles .3%

I agree a good trip and recheck should help the fuel perhaps. If I bought a truck with 92k I would run a ARX treatment. That would help your report also or at least help the seals.
smile.gif

I'm kinda leery of using anything in the engine since it's running so well. I'll run it down the freeway before I take the next sample to see if the fuel level goes down. I also installed a Purolater Pure one filter, and want to see if the insolubles decrease at all. I was using AC Delco filters before that.

On a side note: I sold my 1988 k1500 truck (bought new) and wish I'd taken an oil sample before I sold it last month. It had 209k miles on Valvoline 10W-30 and I'd always used fram filters (before I knew better). That 350 ran like a champ though...

Here's the latest on my 2000 Silverado with a 5.3 Engine. I used Valvoline 5W-30 again, but switched to a Purolator PureOne filter from a FRAM. I did drive the truck for about 30 mins before draining the oil to try and see if the fuel level would go down. It did. I think I may switch to a new air filter to get the silicon down, because nothing has been touched since the last sample, and the air filter looks worn, but only has 10k miles on it.

The comments were:

Nice improvement in fuel. It looks like the drive before taking the sample may have helped, though the viscosity was also higher and wear improved nicely, so it may not have been related. The last sample was taken when it was still fairly cold out, so that may have also been the reason fuel
showed up last time. Silicon increased and may show a little dirt getting past the air filter, so we
suggest checking this. It could also be from sealers if the engine was opened and this is harmless.
Other than that, everything looks great. Low insolubles show good oil filtration.

The new values are on the right side of the screen...

EQUIPMENT MAKE: GM
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 5.3L 327 CI V-8
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 3,562 Miles 3134 miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Valvoline 5W/30 (gas) same
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts same

My Eng
Aluminum 2 1
CHROMIUM 1 0
IRON 19 6
COPPER 7 7
LEAD 2 2